Nate Johnson - Inner Consciousness (AEMC Compilation #3)

tomorrowstops

The space within. Revelations of existence. A spiritual awakening.

I’m part of an online group called the Ambient and Experimental Music Community. Every couple of months a challenge is put forth to the group. Members submit 3 original samples, under two minutes in total length. All samples are gathered together and redistributed to all of the participants. Members then construct a piece of music, less than 8 minutes long, using ONLY the samples provided.

This time, I chose NOT to use every sample. Instead I went through all 50+ samples and locked on to the ones that really resonated with me. One in particular that struck me was a recording of an Eastern European choir singing an ancient hymn. Combined with some other ethereal sounding samples, like guitar and crotales, this piece came together. I’ve also been reading and thinking about 2001: A Space Odyssey, which concepts of existence and reality really propelled the vibe of the music. The video is my own work as well, yet another experiment. A photo Gray (@grayturel) took is buried in there as well. Enjoy any which way you please, but I do suggest headphones for this one!

• 2 weeks later...
When I listen to stuff like that it inspires me and makes me want to produce music in that genre — which I never do. It's creating... like... landscapes in my mind. :D

Well, I wholly encourage you to take an hour or two and just try it out. Just experiment. Grab a sample of....anything with your phone; or download something free from like archive.org. it never needs to be fancy. Throw it into Alchemy, chop it and rearrange it on the timeline...duplicate, layer, filter using the channel eq, automate frequency cutoff, panning, etc. Its about utilizing whats right in front of you, in the moment. See where it takes you. Don't over think it!

Ok, now I officially sound new age-y :lol: