What the crown makes you do...

fuzzfilth

Now, with seemingly everyone left and right producing virtual choir videos due to "the situation", I thought - so can I (?).

So I downloaded DaVinci Resolve (it's awesome. And free), made some guides to sing to, activated a buddy who knows lots of singers, and got 55 videos back in 1.5 days.

Then sorted and synced these videos in Resolve, exported the audios to Logic to do the deed, then thought a little about the video concept, and after one all nighter, here it is. Enjoy.

• Wow! 1

Hey Karen, glad you like it. As it's originally an Irish song, there are English lyrics to it:

May the road rise to meet you

May the wind be always at your back

May the sun shine warm upon your face

the rains fall soft upon your fields

And until we meet again

May God hold you in the palm

of his hand.

The German adaptation is not quite as smooth, but certainly not as edgy as "Krautwurzelstein".

Since we couldn't train the choir the old school way, we recorded the guitar part first, one take, on a smartphone. Then we recorded the guide video for the sopranos, where we played back the first video's sound in the earpiece and sang the soprano voice and played the matching piano notes at the same time, also in one take. Then repeat that for the alto, tenor and bass guides. Then sent those videos out to the actual singers where everyone could see their voice performed and hear voice, piano and guitar.

Then waited for the videos to come in. All you hear are smartphone recordings, so we've come a long way since Mary Had A Little Lamb, it seems. But then, I wasn't twiddling thumbs in the Logic project either...

I'm currently working on the next video, where I try to put 100 singers into a 3D animated church in Cinema4D. First rendering tests are promising, take a peek here:

These videos are just stand ins, I'm just trying to get the look and the motion paths right, and the render times down (these 16seconds took 23hours to render :shock: ). Once that's set, I can fill in the actual videos and render the entire thing in scenes, then cut and finish in DaVinci Resolve.

• 2 weeks later...