I'd appreciate your critique (part 2)

in.name.only

Phew, this one's been a long time coming. Unfortunately (or rather fortunately, of course) I got a new job since my song 'natasha' and as the job pays the rent I had to focus on that. So this little project was happening in the background and I'd love to hear your views on it - arrangement, mixing etc. This one is called 'recipe for excess'...

• 2 weeks later...

Nice trance music piece with efficient hypnotic mood!

The intro is interesting as it gradually brings new sonic elements unexpected in nature but still blending well and that conveys intently into its surrealistic ambience.

I noticed that at around 2 minute and at around 4 minute there’s a couple of sung syllables that pop out, which kind of distract from the experience.

Perhaps my monitoring environment isn’t optimal, but I also heard that on occasions some of the background vocals are slight slightly off the main vocal pitch. Perhaps that’s intentional, considering the grunge-sh vocal style used.

I would perhaps consider adding new musical ear candies or including a bridge of some kind as the song is getting a little lengthy.

All in all, I think it's a well crafted song and I quite liked it!

Please consider the above comments as uneducated profane impressions…

Thanks Atlas, some very kind words there. “Surrealist ambience” I particularly like :)

I’ve cleaned up the audio a little with automation but I don’t really want to touch the pitch (don’t ask me why, I don’t know. I’ll happily process them in any way imaginable but not the pitch. If I think it’s that bad I’ll just record them all again lol)

I haven’t actually added much new, instead I took some stuff away - mostly some kick and snare just before the first vocal and again just before the ‘drop’. Also took away that shimmer synth before the drop. Also I’ve added a reverse reverb before the first vocal. I’ve no idea if it works, I think I like it. If you get a chance let me know what you think...

I knows it’s kind of trancey - that was intentional - but I never wanted to go full trance. I think of it as kind of a ‘teasing’ trance. A friend said ‘Underworld’, he flatters me, I’ll take that all day.