Trailer Soundtrack I wrote...

David Nahmani

Here's a soundtrack me and my writing partner wrote for a trailer. This is a rough mix and it doesn't have all the voice-over yet, but it gives a good idea of the music composition.

I think it's interesting, we used the QLSO library, the MOTU Symphonic library, and Stormdrum, also some real acoustic percussions and steel guitar (the harmonics, starting with a reversed harmonic in the 2nd cue). Lots of accelerandos... I wish I could show you the quicktime but I don't have the rights to the picture.

Some of the hits were a real challenge as we had to choose between them being in sync with the music rythm or with the scene cuts. Of course they wanted them to be in sync with the scene cuts, so we did our best but they might sometimes sound a little off with the music.

Let me know what you think!?

Trailer Soundtrack v1

Here's a soundtrack me and my writing partner wrote for a trailer. This is a rough mix and it doesn't have all the voice-over yet, but it gives a good idea of the music composition.

I think it's interesting, we used the QLSO library, the MOTU Symphonic library, and Stormdrum, also some real acoustic percussions and steel guitar (the harmonics, starting with a reversed harmonic in the 2nd cue). Lots of accelerandos... I wish I could show you the quicktime but I don't have the rights to the picture.

Some of the hits were a real challenge as we had to choose between them being in sync with the music rythm or with the scene cuts. Of course they wanted them to be in sync with the scene cuts, so we did our best but they might sometimes sound a little off with the music.

Let me know what you think!?

Trailer Soundtrack v1

VERY nice composition David!

But I think you should hire Bernard to do the mix :)

(private joke, folks.)

hey mate,well i think the first half sounds a little under produced...2 dry maybe,the initial beat should be filtered in and maybe some automated width etc on it,the second half is cool,reminds me of the first scream movie trailer!!

there is a sound in the middle wich sounds cheesy to me but,really dated and doesnt fit the peice imo...

overal it sounds great but bro!! nice work

I think I agree with you on the cheesy sound. That's what happens when you work with a partner, you have to make some compromises :| I wasn't in love with that particular sound either.

I think in general the mix lacks low-mids or some kind of punch in the strings... but I like the composition.

Good work David for the amount of time you put into it. I know from experience. ..Compositionally, It's up there with the pros, but I think that some of the string programing isn't 100%. That's an art in itself. You can download some preexisting midi files associated with the types of string passages you need from the Garritan website, or at least it used to be up there. Also, have you checked out the Project Sam collection. All I have to say is...STUNNING!

Having said all of that, I would still hire you guys if I were the production company. Kep upthe goodwork!

Best,

Dream

Hey Dream, thanks for your comments. There was soo much more I wanted to do with the strings. Guess it's pretty raw as it is...

I have never heard of the Project Sam collection, what is it? Do you have a link?

I'll try and check out the midi file on the garritan site, thanks for the tip!

Hey David,

http://www.projectsam.com/

They have hands down the best brass libraries out there inmy opinion. They're recorded with 3 different types of natural ambience, so it sctually sounds 3 demensional and there are so many user articulations and instructions that it's hard not to sound believable. They also provide alot of freebie samples on their site. I think they're from the Netherlands, but don't quote me on it.

Years ago, before I moved my production company to Sweden, I graduated from UCLA's film scoring program. When I was there, I met alot of obscure orchestral sample developers that are not as popular as the bigger names, but they make amazing stuff.

Best,

Dream

• 3 weeks later...