Lady Gaga - Just Dance (SECTR 24 Remix)

Tranquil010

Hello!

My cousin and I did a really cool remix of Just Dance. We use a handfull of synths including Atmosphere, Albino, and a Novation synth.

Alas, it all ends up in Logic at the end of the day!

here is a free download:

http://homepage.mac.com/rosslara/FileSharing2.html

Our MySpace:

www.sectr24.com

Your feedback is appreciated!

Ross of SECTR 24

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/Tranquil010/JustDancePromo1.jpg

This remix is cool man. Really cool. I can recognize some of the sounds. The vocal effects were really amazing. I know it has a lot to do with automation and heavy processing/fx, but I know there's a lot more involved. Can you point me in the right direction on how to learn what you just did with the vocals in this track? Any good articles, video tutorials you can suggest? Thanks.

hey man, thank you very much for your feedback and interest in the vocal edits.

I have a lot of fun editing instruments and vocals with the stutter edit technique. Have you heard of BT before? He is my biggest musical inspiration and he known for mastering stutter edits.

I listen to his Emotional Technology album all the time and study how he goes about doing his edits. It's crazy and I feel like i have only brushed the surface.

Yes, a lot of automation and FX took place. A couple ideas:

When a vocalist is holding a note, take the attack of a word or the sustan, cut it up to either 16th or 32nd notes and repeat for a bar. Merge all the new regions together. Open up the sample editor, reverse it, fade in, open up the time and pitch machine and shift the audio up an octave. Then pass it through a Fazz Wah Filter. And for kicks, send the track to a bus with a bright, long reverb. For signal flow purposes, have that reverb run through a compressor which is sidechained to your kick drum for the "pulsing effect."

The second verse of the song towards the end, you hear a lot of distortion. Her vocals are broken down into 1 bar segments. One track had a fazz wah filter and a bit crusher plug in. The other track was dry. I panned them hard Right and Hard Left... setting up for cool transitions like

(Distorted L - "Keep, it coolllll"

(Clean R - Whats the name of this Club-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-)

(Distorted L - "I cant remember but its all right...)

for the rap verse, I had Wolfberg do three really good takes the lead had your typical eq and so fourth, and the 2 other tracks were layered with light distortion, reverb, and the 'spreader' plug in.

I hope this helps!

Check out BT when u can!

Ross

• 4 weeks later...
Hello!

My cousin and I did a really cool remix of Just Dance.

Hi Ross - thanks for sharing. I really like your remix. Very cool processing and FX. And thanks for taking the time to explain in detail how you do a few things - that's very helpful. I don't know why Astar never responded, but hopefully he read your post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a great remix, no question about it. I really like the sounds and the edge you bring to the original. Fun to have that cellphone ringing in the right speaker. ;-)

OK but I have to say, there's ONE note that you keep hitting that really bugs me. Starts at 1:07-1:08, there's a synth that plays a minor 6th and then a major 7th. Major 7th? Are you sure? Then unfortunately I keep hearing that note, and it really distracts me from the rest of the arrangement - which is a shame!

I know that DJs and remixers are pretty liberal with harmony and the only rule is "if it sounds good, it's good", but to me that note sounds totally out of place. Do you know which note I mean?

Anyway, a great remix regardless of that bugging note! :lol:

OK but I have to say, there's ONE note that you keep hitting that really bugs me. Starts at 1:07-1:08, there's a synth that plays a minor 6th and then a major 7th. Major 7th? Are you sure? Then unfortunately I keep hearing that note, and it really distracts me from the rest of the arrangement - which is a shame!

I know that DJs and remixers are pretty liberal with harmony and the only rule is "if it sounds good, it's good", but to me that note sounds totally out of place. Do you know which note I mean?

Anyway, a great remix regardless of that bugging note! :lol:

:lol: I really like that section that bothers you. I found it refreshing and cool. Moves things along and builds tension. Just goes to show ya.

Yeah, music is all so subjective.

I mean, *somebody* buys U2 albums, and they literally make me ill. Seriously, I get physical twinges of revulsion when I hear their music. The incredibly narcissistic self-idolatry in that guy's voice is like an audio version of a skunk's smell.

And I was talking to my friend who had once-in-a-lifetime tickets to see a famous opera singer in an intimate setting and asked if I wanted to go. My reply: "Opera? I love the music, and the stories, and the grandeur, and the ballet interludes, and the sets, etc. I love everything about opera...except the singing."

U2 and opera = both physically painful to listen to for me.