Upgrade from 2.1.3?

davidarnay

Considering a total system upgrade, from a 2010 MBP running OS 10.8.3 / MainStage 2.1.3 to a new MBP / MS 3.2.4. Years of programming and data would need to make the jump. Can anyone offer any encouraging words for this idea? Are the synth instruments compatible? Will the sample data arrive intact? Can't afford to start from scratch on a new rig. Present rig is fairly stable. Thanks in advance for comments and suggestions.

this is going to be one of those "it depends" answers, sorry for that up front.

3.2.4 is going to be 64-bit. Are you using only stock MS/Logic plugins or are you using more/other? Your sample libs. Are they EXS or Kontakt? What's your 3rd party plugin use, if any?

If you have someone near you who has v3.2.4, they could of course test your concert file for you. How hard would that be? not all too hard actually, but again it'll depend a little bit on how you've saved your samples etc. You'll want to end up on version 3.2.4, or 3.1.1, just don't go anywhere near 3.2, 3.2.1, 3.2.2, 3.2.3 but you'll not see those if doing a fresh install of MainStage today - the store is only issuing 3.2.4.

Plan the upgrade, and do it at a time when you can absorb downtime, if any. Am assuming you'll continue to have your working rig based on the 2010 MBP and that the new one would exist in parallel with the old one until you're convinced all is across???

Thank you for the reply! Your idea of trying to work with a friend or colleague who's using 3.2.4, for a test drive, is a good one. 

Pretty sure all sample instruments are EXS. Will the 64-bit situation present a problem? 95% of synth patches are ES2 or others native to MS. I do have several Massive channel strips; I'm aware that an update will be needed. 

Is the file storage structure the same in MS3? Referring to the various locations in the user library, some under "application support," some under "music," where patches and instruments are saved. I recently went through the process of consolidating all concert data in the concert folder, but much info is also apparently stored in the user library.

Of course I'll continue to rely on the current rig until the new gear is 100% confirmed.

I don't suppose you're in the L.A. Area...?

Thanks again.

DA

Originally L.A. but based in Europe for a long long time now...

File structures were changed in version 3.2, more of a enclosed "project" file but yes, the idea of having a music apps folder under your user name is still there but I think it's been moved/renamed since 10.8. Just doing this from memory as I've got nothing to check on. A friend would have to have your concert file + custom samples new instruments to test.

The 64 bit versions of Apple stuff will just work, as well as most all other plugins. The switch tom64mbit is painless once you've actually sourced 64 bit plugins and have them installed.