Unexpected Latency Issues with Mainstage

Brad-73

Hi, I am currently using mainstage 3.1.1 to process audio and in-ear signal for my keyboard set up. I am using a MacBook pro 13 inch with retina display, 8 gig of ram and a 2.56Mhz 4 core processor. My mainstage audio preferences are set to 64 samples with no safety buffer. CPU usage is around 33%. After a period of time, normally around 1 hr, I get crackle in the audio and then what appears to be a 1 second latency on all audio. I then have to shut down mainstage and re-open it. Is this a software issue or is there a setting I need to change. Last night I created a new concert from scratch and enabled the safety buffer in audio settings. This issue is a real problem when performing. Any suggestions?

Brad

Hi, I am currently using mainstage 3.1.1 to process audio and in-ear signal for my keyboard set up. I am using a MacBook pro 13 inch with retina display, 8 gig of ram and a 2.56Mhz 4 core processor. My mainstage audio preferences are set to 64 samples with no safety buffer. CPU usage is around 33%. After a period of time, normally around 1 hr, I get crackle in the audio and then what appears to be a 1 second latency on all audio. I then have to shut down mainstage and re-open it. Is this a software issue or is there a setting I need to change. Last night I created a new concert from scratch and enabled the safety buffer in audio settings. This issue is a real problem when performing. Any suggestions?

No, this happens with other audio applications, too. No idea what triggers it - do you use external audio hardware? And you are on Yosemite?

Hi Brad and welcome to Logic Pro Help!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• MainStage version and sub-version (e.g. MainStage 3.1.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X Yosemite 10.10.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

What kind of audio interface do use?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi mmm42 and Eric, I am currently using the sapphire Pro 40 fire wire interface with the adaptor for the new MacBook pro. I have gone back to using my 2013 MacBook pro with main stage 2 and it is running perfectly. It is frustrating that I updated my computer and mainstage only to have it not work. I have a friend who is running the 15" MacBook Pro with retina and he has no problems at all. I don't know what is different between the 13" and the 15"? I thought it would just be screen size, but obviously I am wrong.

I have this issue too, in Logic - so it is not limited to driverless interfaces, nor to OS X 10.10.x: I have a Roland interface, and OS 10.9.5.

I always find the same message in Console when it has happened, sadly nobody seems to know what the message means ro what can be done about it. I have not found a common factor (yet) for this to occur, but my chief suspects are certain 3rd party plugins.

20/05/15 10:20:30,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff800b543000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (a14,2cc)->(a15,4ea).

20/05/15 10:20:30,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff800b543000]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (a15,2cc)

I have done some testing just now to see if I could pinpoint a culprit. I first removed RealGuitar from my project - no difference. Error after 1'54" of recording. RealGuitar ruled out.

As I type Logic is recording again, and so far has not shown the error. In this test I removed an instance of Diva.

Ah, end of song, no error happened.

Diva is a suspect now.

Update: Diva no longer a suspect.

Edited by Eriksimon

I have this issue too, in Logic - so it is not limited to driverless interfaces.

My understanding is that many manufacturers create wrapper drivers that are using the generic kernel extensions to work.

nor to OS X 10.10.x: I have a Roland interface, and OS 10.9.5.

This is what I have observed too with forum members.

It's either 10.10 or 10.9.5.

I always find the same message in Console when it has happened, sadly nobody seems to know what the message means ro what can be done about it. I have not found a common factor (yet) for this to occur, but my chief suspects are certain 3rd party plugins.

20/05/15 10:20:30,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff800b543000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (a14,2cc)->(a15,4ea).

20/05/15 10:20:30,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff800b543000]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (a15,2cc)

Like you know I'm using an RME audio interface and I have never experienced anything like it.

I'm not even able to find a IOAudioStream message in my Console.

This is why I have my suspicions about some generic extension.

This is a tricky one.

So far I only heard about cases with external audio hardware. It seems to occur at least in 10.9 and 10.10 and it doesn't seem to ba application specific. I have seen reports against MainStage, Logic and Live. It has nothing to do with settings in OS X, like App Nap, etc.

The guess so far is that it is related to CPU heat (not load), if it gets too hot, this issue occurs.

The guess so far is that it is related to CPU heat (not load), if it gets too hot, this issue occurs.

But how is that related to 10.9 and 10.10?

Shouldn't heat issues also affect previous operating systems?

Not necessarily. Some of the incremental OSX updates have sometimes caused fan issues resulting in overheating on some Apple machines. However, Apple normally fixes those problems fairly quickly with a new update.

Not necessarily. Some of the incremental OSX updates have sometimes caused fan issues resulting in overheating on some Apple machines. However, Apple normally fixes those problems fairly quickly with a new update.

Yes, that is certainly true.

But I don't think I've heard of any user correlate this issue to excessive fan activity or temperature change.

• 4 months later...
Hi guys, an update with my latency issues. I have now tried my macbookpro with a different interface. The Mackie Onyx blackbird. I still have the same issue. After a period of time, roughly an hour, i get about a 1 second latency on all audio using mainstage. Yesterday i updated mainstage with all its stability and bug fixes and alas the issue is still there. This computer is as useful as using a brick to process my audio. I have downloaded a fan contol app thismorning to control my fan speed. Perhaps it is a cpu temperature issue.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just came across this old thread. I experience the same issue with Logic X (I am only beginning to use Mainstage).

Interestingly, I never had this problem in my studio where I use RME interfaces. However, for live I use a MacBook Air and a Zoom UAC-2, and I've experienced the sudden latency bug several times.

I am wondering, has anybody tried El Capitan? I'm currently on 10.9.5.

Thanks!

With RME, you get what you pay for... I've had my interfaces for ages, yet no problems whatsoever.

The little Zoom UAC-2 is actually not bad at all - generally low latencies and good sound.

Coming back to the latency bug, it seems to have something to do with mixing different MIDI and audio drivers of external interfaces. When I use the Zoom for both audio and MIDI, the bug doesn't seem to kick in.

I guess RME's drivers are just so much better.

I've seen this procedure posted on RME:s forum.

You could try to see if that changes anything:

1. Open your Network Preferences, create a new Location and discard any service you don't specifically use. Redundant services may be: Bluetooth PAN and the Thunderbolt Bridge services.

2. Switch off a network service called 'awdl0' (a-w-d-ell-zero) which is used by AirPlay and AirDrop.
    Open Terminal type:
    sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

You'll be asked to enter your administrator password.
    You can then check that the service is inactive by typing:

ifconfig awdl0

It should list a status of 'inactive'. NOTE that this change is not persistent between restarts, so you'll need to do it each time to start up (or write a script to do it for you).

Thanks Eric, I really appreciate your input, and that of the other posters or course. At least I now have some idea about the possible cause of the glitches.

I played a gig tonight but made sure to restart Logic right before I began to play. There was no glitch. So, I guess that's what I will have to do from now on...

Interesting to hear about the command functions, I may give that a go. Thanks.

I wonder, though, how widespread is this issue? If everybody that is using any of the interfaces mentioned in this thread would experience the same issue, wouldn't we hear much more about it..? I've found a couple of threads via Google (which led me to this one), and there's a little talk about it on Apple's forum. Could it be system-specific?

I certainly disable Bluetooth and Wifi before every gig. Could it be certain extensions like Little Snitch or MenuMeters? They don't interact with Core Audio, do they?

I just noticed that you have "seen this procedure posted on RME:s forum". Does this mean RME interfaces are affected as well?

Appears that this is the case for at least a couple of Babyface owners.

I really don't know if they are using them in CC mode which would automatically use the Apple driver.

I connect my UFX via FireWire and have not experienced this.

I think they are pretty widespread, and apogee Duet users are the ones that are affected the most right now.

I also don't think that this particular issues are system specific.

I really have not the slightest regarding the services you mention. Can't you just turn them off and see if they make a difference?

Sure, I can turn them off.

Interesting to hear about Apogee users. This means Apple would be have been notified at some stage, too.

Bizarre.

I just remembered that I've experienced the issue once even on my studio Mini with a Digiface... Only once, though.

Oh, and I also remember that I used to frequently get a glitch when practising e-drums with Kontakt standalone, where the sound would just break up for a few seconds but then resume as normal without increased latency... At the time, I put it down to some unknown hardware issue, but when I think about it now, it also always occurred after about one hour of playing.

Which seems to suggest some kind of timed background process for a cause, doesn't it?

• 3 months later...

I have this issue as well.. I have a massive tour coming up, and i am very nervous about this. Would not be cool if it happens in front of an audience. Thinking of transferring the whole thing to Ableton Live but that would be an massive undertaking so its not my first choice.

Have anyone found any workarounds that works?

My setup is Mbp late 2013 4 core 15 inch retina and Motu Ultralite. Latest versions of everything software-wise.

thanks