Acoustic Kick Drum Trigger

Mark Willmott

Hi Guys,

I am after your professional assistance yet again!

I am in a 5 piece band playing covers. MS is my 'keyboard'. We have an acoustic drummer which in the main is fine, but on occasions, depending on the venue, we just can't get a real good thump from the kick drum. We have access to a clip on drum trigger.

Is it possible to put the other end of the trigger in to a separate input on my scarlett 6i6 interface and then configure a channel strip in MS to somehow trigger a kick drum sound from the likes of Ultrabeat or EXS24, and then i could route it through a separate output back to the desk?

I realise there is probably a lot going on here but any help / assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mark

• 3 months later...

Apologies for late reply, chances are you've figured this already, but I don't see and issue with what you're wanting to do. There's a really good triggering plug in called "Dsp trigger" not very expensive either. Use a trigger (Ddrum, Roland, 2box etc or my personal fave, Trigerra Bix because it's the beater and not stuck to a mylar head) and not a mic though, you'd get MUCH better triggering dynamics. 

But you might find lately issues with the CPU having to process trigger and then a sound attached. It would probably be a lot less stress on the computer if you used something like a Roland TM-2 You could also trigger the snare too if you should feel the urge. A mate of mine had split the channels giving him 4 triggering inputs as the TM-2 has 2 dual trigger ins. I think they're about £165 for the TM-2 and £45 or something for the trigger. 

• 6 months later...

Hi There,

I'm a longtime MainStage user and do exactly as you have described. I trigger drum samples live and in realtime from e-drum pads and clip on triggers directly connected to the input of my audio interface. NO MIDI conversion required. I'd like to offer a solution/suggesting by recommending a plugin of which I'm am part of the design and development team.

It's called apTrigga. have a look ! ... http://www.digitalelements.net/aptrigga-3-details/

There is a demo to try and see if it works for you. I'm confident you'll find exactly what you're looking for here.

** My apologies to the admins if I have stepped out of bounds .. but, this is one of the very few solutions to do this type of triggering in MainStage.