Modulation wheel: how to increase the maximum?

Dave K

I'm playing "Just What I Needed" by the Cars, and I found a nice sawtooth patch that uses the ES2 instrument for the lead, which is pretty nice.

But at the very end of the song, you will notice that it drops into a very fast "tremolo". I try to match this by cranking up the Modulation Wheel, but the oscillation rate of the modulation envelope is substantially lower than what's on the recording, even when the mod wheel is pushed all the way.

How can I increase this?

I tried to hunt down the Mappings tab to see what the Mod Wheel is "mapped" to in the ES2 instrument, but I don't see any mapping at all. And when I stare at the ES2 screen and work the wheel, I don't see anything on the screen move.

So what's going on here? Where is that mod wheel's MIDI message flowing to and what effect is it controlling?

And more to the point, how can I make it oscillate faster so the outro sounds right?

Thanks!

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
In the middle of the ES2 is the Modulation matrix.  See which parameter is assigned to the Mod Wheel.  If it is LFO1 then go to the LFO portion and change the frequency to your liking.  Also in the modulation matrix there are small pointers along the right side.  That will also change how much modulation is occurring.  Experiment with the LFO frequency and the sliders and you should get what you're looking for.