PLAYBACK FACILITY

DEVO

Hi

I'm using Logic Pro X to create all my backing tracks (Drums, Bass, Synths, etc) for live work, which are now complete and mixed down. Looking for a solution to play my vst synth on top of these backing tracks I came across Mainstage 3 and the playback facility, so I need to ensure I am setting this up correctly.

The best option appears to be:

1. Export all my channel strips as audio files

2. Open a new mainstage 3 project and import all the audio files - the software creates a new playback track for each audio file

3. Hit play in one of the playback channels in mainstage 3 and the entire backing track (all the audio files) plays - it appears that mainstage 3 connects all the playback strips

4. Add an instrument strip, insert a vst synth and play along

So I now have a few observations / question

1. The channel strips in Logic have the true stereo option which does not appear to be present in mainstage 3 - it just has the old stereo pan from older versions of Logic

2. Although the channel strips in mainstage 3 are all set to the same level, which should ensure a true duplication of my imported audio files and their settings in Logic, It sounds like I will have to remix certain parts as the levels are not quite the same

Am I on the right track here. I'd appreciate if someone could help.

Regards,

Alan

hi

1. Yes the Pan in Main Stage doesn't have the true stereo as in Logic. It's basically Balance for stereo channels.

2. When you import audio file in MS it doesn't bring the channel strip information with it from Logic. It brings Tempo and Markers information only.

If you want the channel strip settings you have to save them in Logic as preset and then you can open that preset in MS

in Logic click on settings at top of the channel strip and choose Save channel Strip Settings As . Give it a name.

In MS you'll see the saved settings in Channel Strip Library/User Channel Strip Settings