One Vocal & Playback Channel

DEVO

Hi Guys

Can someone please explain why the preset for one vocal and backing track sets up with two layers. The first is "My Song" and then a sub strip which says "Natural Vocal".

My question is why does it set up the playback channel in both "My Song" and the "Natural Voice" strips?

I had deleted the "Natural Voice" strip and inserted my backing track into the "My Song" strip. I then duplicated the "My Song" for new songs in my set, but the whole this keeps crashing. I mean like a lot.

Any suggestions?

2071027459_ScreenShot2017-10-02at14_56_53.thumb.png.9419a76f5ed22cda8d17024111066cb9.png

1831409095_ScreenShot2017-10-02at14_56_48.thumb.png.51f16dd8d3fc93bc4ef59125c384234e.png

Devo, you really need to read the user manual concerning MainStage's configuration and the differences between Concerts, Sets and Patches. It seems like you don't understand the fundamentals.

Maddcow

You really need to mind your own business if you cannot be constructive.

I AM being constructive.  There are big differences between Concert level, Set level and Patch level...and the issues you've described stem directly from your lack of understanding concerning these differences.  However, it'd take me more time than I have to explain this, especially when you could just read the manual yourself to learn about these hierarchical differences. Due to your smartarse response, I'm not going to bother helping you more than this. Learn some manners.

wow. well done. you managed to piss off one of the largest and most knowledgable contributors in this part of LPH.

if I can decipher what your ask is:

1) why is a channel strip showing up at patch level if it has been put in a level higher at the set level?

that's how MS works. you're mixing up nomenclature. "channel strips" are the things on the right hand side that look like real channel strips on a mixer. "Patches" are a collection of one or more channel strips, and a "set" is a collection of patches. In a set, the hierarchy of MainStage is active, that means that unless you tell MS otherwise, everything in the patch (all the channel strips there) plus "what's above it" (all the channel strips there) in the set will fire/play.  Ditto for what's at the concert level too... There are some rules about layering (add/replace/augment that help with MIDI inputs. This is indeed in the manual, and really important to understand, especially if you're going to be building these two-layer solutions (you'll need to if you want the playback to continue playing on songs where you have more than one patch for a single song. 

I had deleted the "Natural Voice" strip and inserted my backing track into the "My Song" strip. I then duplicated the "My Song" for new songs in my set, but the whole this keeps crashing. I mean like a lot.

"strip"? There is a Natural Vocal *patch* and and Natural Vocal *channel strip* within the Natural Vocal *patch*. Which did you delete?

crashing a lot.

When? while doing the copy? the paste? the duplicate? during playback? how much memory is this concert using? what are the format of the playback tracks? There could be a lot of reasons, but I can't exactly place where the struggle is... Can you be more specific?

and uh... try to make amends with maddcow - he actually knows what he's doing and for free, peer support, you kind of really do need to take a night and read through the manual. It helps those who are trying to help you (in their own free time) help yourself. 

• 5 weeks later...
I AM being constructive.  There are big differences between Concert level, Set level and Patch level...and the issues you've described stem directly from your lack of understanding concerning these differences.  However, it'd take me more time than I have to explain this, especially when you could just read the manual yourself to learn about these hierarchical differences. Due to your smartarse response, I'm not going to bother helping you more than this. Learn some manners.

You were being insulting saying I don't understand the fundamentals. I've been using Mainstage as far back as 2010 for live work and get the whole concert, set and patch level, but I'm having trouble understanding this playback facility and where it fits. I can't locate the manual as there is only one for instruments and effects available.

Going back to your original post, the two layer, which is really hierarchical approach in the template is by design but also a best practice. Usually, when you’ve got backing tracks in the playback plugin, you’ll want to play a whole song, while during a song, odds are good one might use more than one patch. Since the playback is at the set level, it won’t stop when you change patches. So best practice is a set per song, set playbacks at the set level, and build one or more patches under/within the set for whatever you’re playing while the playback is running.

The crashing issues likely coming from some other issue(s).