Assigning Drum Pads to Drumsets

stumusic

Hello again,

My midi controller (Akai mpk249) already has its drum pads configured to send the note information I need to play a drum kit on midi channel 10. When I load a drum set patch however, only the piano keys trigger the drum sounds until I go to the assignments and mapping tab and map the pads to the notes. I'm not sure I understand this behavior. It seems wrong to have to manually assign a midi note value to the same midi note value it is already sending. Why doesn't MainStage simply recognize these midi note messages just like any other? I also noticed that it groups all the messages from channel 10 together in the assignment window. I had really just expected to be able to set the channel strip containing the drum kit to respond only to channel 10 and be done. Is there a more direct way to get MainStage to see the notes coming from my drum pads just like any other note? (I did include the pads in the layout and assign them to the hardware pads, but now I am wondering if that was a mistake and that somehow that stopped these messages from being treated just like any other note message?) [Edit: I really need, in a patch with layers, to have different layers/ channel strips respond only to a specific midi channel. MainStage appears to be permanently stuck in omni-mode. I found a menu that had multitimbral settings in which I thought I'd set the channel strip to only receive channel 10, but it still plays from my keyboard on channel 1. It's been a while since I did a lot with Midi, but it sure seems like I should be able to assign a specific channel strip to only receive a specific channel. (Perhaps this deserves its own topic...)]

Any tips would be appreciated!

Stuart Holmes-