1 Sustain pedal - 2 controllers

keyboardist1

Hello all. I’m hoping this is something simple and staring me in the face, but I missed. Looking to have sustain pedal connected to one controller also equally control sustain on a second controller. I thought I could create a 2nd controller in layout using the same input source as the first and just send the output to the second controller. I did do this, and it did work with the caveat of causing a sustain pedal on event when changing patches. If someone is in a position to share how they either have set this up successfully or could offer advice on how to set this up to work properly, would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I’ve explained my intent correctly and properly.

Don't use two screen controls. One is enough:

1. In Edit mode select your Concert level, then select the sustain pedal.
  2. In the screen control inspector click the Mappings tab.
  3. Create a new mapping by clicking on the + button to the right.
  4. Choose > Send To All > [NAME OF YOUR SECOND CONTROLLER] Destinations > 64(Sustain).

Hope that helps.

Thank you Eric. You're the man. In this case, I actually had done that, but what is happening is that with that setup, when I change a patch. the first note played on second controller after patch change sustains immediately and I have to hit the sustain pedal to reset it to sus off. I did look at my native controller settings to ensure that both were at OFF=0 and ON=127. Any thoughts?

That should not happen.

I think I need more information to be able to help you.

What kind of controllers are you using?

Which version of MainStage? (Please update your signature if you have updated OS too)

Do you have some kind of override functionality on a patch level?

Try a new Concert from scratch with only two patches to troubleshoot.

Hey Eric, I did update my signature. (sry bout that, rookie mistake) I've started with a new template and now things are working as expected, but the one area of settings I was unsure of is in the workspace area when you click on the assignment (LH side of Assignments & Mappings window). Unsure of correct "MIDI Thru" and "Send Value to" settings.

sus pedal is connected to Keylab 88 (primary board) but need the pedal also to equally effect the Keylab 61. With my new template, it seems to work as expected, but ag this point, just curious as to the behavior of the MIDI thru and Send Value to settings. thanks. These are the current settings:

SUS PEDAL (KL88) - Device: KeyLab 88, Channel: Channel 1, Type: Press/Release, Number: 64 (Sustain), MIDI Thru: Automatic, Send Value to: None

SECONDARY ASSIGNMENT -Device: KeyLab 88, Channel: Channel 1, Type: Press/Release, Number: 64 (Sustain), MIDI Thru: Do not pass through, Send Value to: None

The "mapping" for the Secondary sus pedal assignment is: Send to All:MIDI In KL61: Sustain. I think that's all correct.

Hey Eric, I did update my signature. (sry bout that, rookie mistake) I've started with a new template and now things are working as expected, but the one area of settings I was unsure of is in the workspace area when you click on the assignment (LH side of Assignments & Mappings window). Unsure of correct "MIDI Thru" and "Send Value to" settings.

sus pedal is connected to Keylab 88 (primary board) but need the pedal also to equally effect the Keylab 61. With my new template, it seems to work as expected, but ag this point, just curious as to the behavior of the MIDI thru and Send Value to settings. thanks. These are the current settings:

SUS PEDAL (KL88) - Device: KeyLab 88, Channel: Channel 1, Type: Press/Release, Number: 64 (Sustain), MIDI Thru: Automatic, Send Value to: None

SECONDARY ASSIGNMENT -Device: KeyLab 88, Channel: Channel 1, Type: Press/Release, Number: 64 (Sustain), MIDI Thru: Do not pass through, Send Value to: None

The "mapping" for the Secondary sus pedal assignment is: Send to All:MIDI In KL61: Sustain. I think that's all correct.

Not sure exactly what your question is.

The first one is mapped to so that you pedal sends it's original value (Automatic)

The second one sends the dedicated CC64 for the secondary keyboard.

You could set the first one to dedicated CC64 to the first keyboard and turn off Automatic send.