How to properly use USB hubs and MainStage?

joachim_s

Hi!

I’m doing my first couple of MainStage only gigs in a while. I’m connecting several keyboard controllers, an Apogee Jam and a Duet to my MBP 15” mid 2015 i7 16 GB RAN (etc). Is there a “better”, more safe procedure when using USB hubs? As for now I use one hub with four inputs for one of my two USB ins. I haven’t experienced any problems so far, but I want to be sure I’m doing right.

Kindly,

Joachim

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Joachim,

I do the same thing with a USB hub. One problem I did find is when I had my interface (Motu AVB ultralite) running thru the hub, I got a lot of popping sounds when playing any sounds with my controller, even while playing iTunes. I have since plugged the interface directly into my mac book and the problem has disappeared. I also find sometimes my external HD (hooked up thru the hub) that holds all my sounds and files sometimes disappears and I have to reboot everything for it to work again. Although this is a recent problem so I'm still looking into this problem.

I hope that helps.

88keez

Hey Joachim,

I do the same thing with a USB hub. One problem I did find is when I had my interface (Motu AVB ultralite) running thru the hub, I got a lot of popping sounds when playing any sounds with my controller, even while playing iTunes. I have since plugged the interface directly into my mac book and the problem has disappeared. I also find sometimes my external HD (hooked up thru the hub) that holds all my sounds and files sometimes disappears and I have to reboot everything for it to work again. Although this is a recent problem so I'm still looking into this problem.

I hope that helps.

88keez

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Joachim,

I hope that helps.

88keez

I've used Hubs for Keyboard controllers, iConnectMIDI, Pedals & Footswitches etc. with no issues. Interface gets its own USB port.

Thanks for your answers! I’ve bought a powered hub that works great.