A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

joachim_s
Topic Author

How to properly use USB hubs and MainStage?

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 am

Hi!

I’m doing my first couple of MainStage only gigs in a while. I’m connecting several keyboard controllers, an Apogee Jam and a Duet to my MBP 15” mid 2015 i7 16 GB RAN (etc). Is there a “better”, more safe procedure when using USB hubs? As for now I use one hub with four inputs for one of my two USB ins. I haven’t experienced any problems so far, but I want to be sure I’m doing right.

Kindly,
Joachim
Logic versions: Logic Pro X 10.6 (MBP and iMac)
Mainstage versions: MainStage 3.5.1 (MBP and iMac)
Computer: MacBook Pro (15", mid 2015) / iMac (27", late 2012)
Processor: MBP – 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 / iMac – 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: MBP – 16 GB / iMac – 24 GB
Audio interface manufacturer and model: Apogee Duet the iOS+OS X version and Focusrite 18:8

88keez

Re: How to properly use USB hubs and MainStage?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 am

Hey Joachim,

I do the same thing with a USB hub. One problem I did find is when I had my interface (Motu AVB ultralite) running thru the hub, I got a lot of popping sounds when playing any sounds with my controller, even while playing iTunes. I have since plugged the interface directly into my mac book and the problem has disappeared. I also find sometimes my external HD (hooked up thru the hub) that holds all my sounds and files sometimes disappears and I have to reboot everything for it to work again. Although this is a recent problem so I'm still looking into this problem.

I hope that helps.

88keez

88keez

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 am

Hey Joachim,

I do the same thing with a USB hub. One problem I did find is when I had my interface (Motu AVB ultralite) running thru the hub, I got a lot of popping sounds when playing any sounds with my controller, even while playing iTunes. I have since plugged the interface directly into my mac book and the problem has disappeared. I also find sometimes my external HD (hooked up thru the hub) that holds all my sounds and files sometimes disappears and I have to reboot everything for it to work again. Although this is a recent problem so I'm still looking into this problem.

I hope that helps.

88keez

Pauly 6 String

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:30 pm

I've used Hubs for Keyboard controllers, iConnectMIDI, Pedals & Footswitches etc. with no issues. Interface gets its own USB port.
iMac 27" 5K" 2020
3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 64GB RAM
MacOS 10.15.7, Logic Pro X 10.6, MainStage 3.5
AKAI MPK61
AKAI Mini MkII
Roland GAIA
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha EX7
TD-11 Drums
AX8
Behringer X-Air XR18
iConnectMIDI2

joachim_s
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:14 pm

88keez wrote:
Hey Joachim,

I hope that helps.

88keez

Pauly 6 String wrote:
I've used Hubs for Keyboard controllers, iConnectMIDI, Pedals & Footswitches etc. with no issues. Interface gets its own USB port.

Thanks for your answers! I’ve bought a powered hub that works great.
Logic versions: Logic Pro X 10.6 (MBP and iMac)
Mainstage versions: MainStage 3.5.1 (MBP and iMac)
Computer: MacBook Pro (15", mid 2015) / iMac (27", late 2012)
Processor: MBP – 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 / iMac – 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: MBP – 16 GB / iMac – 24 GB
Audio interface manufacturer and model: Apogee Duet the iOS+OS X version and Focusrite 18:8