Latency with nothing but Apple’s Drum Kit plug-in

joachim_s

Hi!

I have a five song project in MainStage where all the software instruments have zero latency except my instances of Drum Kit, they all have 79,4 ms latency each. My drummer who plays them through his SamplePad Pro notice the difference a lot, and there’s no problem for him to play through Ultrabeat and EXS24 on the other hand, which are the other two drum plugins he uses. They have zero latency.

How can I fix this?

Kindly,

Joachim

Now that I think about it…

It should be 0 as long as it is triggered by live input, which it is in MainStage.

80 ms is not really playable by any means. I think MainStage is plain wrong in this case and is only reporting the value that it has when the trigger by the sequencer.

Sorry, I don’t quite follow you? You mean that the latency written out on the bottom of the track really isn’t equivalent to the experience of latency when playing pads with DKD?

• 1 year later...

I'm thrilled to see the 79.4 ms number, because I believe as you've suggested, that it is in fact an error and not a true indication of the latency. While setting up a concert for band practice on an older (Core Duo 2!) iMac, this is the number that I got too, using the DKD SoCal kit. But there's no way it's actually that, because the drums were playing exactly as expected with 8-10 roundtrip latency. I added a limiter with lookahead, and then I could feel latency, but it was gone again once removed.

jpb