Any way to use Logic Pro X 10.4 sounds in Mainstage 3?

willimus

I recently started using Logic Pro X 10.4 to create patches and rehearse songs. I used some sounds like the new Vintage Mellotron instrument and the Chromaverb plugin introduced in Logic Pro X 10.4. I then tried to import the patches into Mainstage 3 and these instruments and plugins are not available. I've searched a good bit and it's clear that things like Chromaverb are not yet available in Mainstage. Are there any possible workarounds for this? Is setting up some combination of Rewire, IAC, and/or Soundflower the way to go?

Logic Pro X 10.4.1, MainStage 3.3.2, as far as I know all sound libraries and updates are complete.

If I create a new "Instrument" channel strip in MainStage, click on "Setting" in the channel strip I see "Vintage Mellotron" and can use it.

I do not see "ChromaVerb" in the plugin listings.

The "Vintage Mellotron" patch in MainStage 3.3.2 uses the EXS24 instrument with some effects. In Logic Pro 10.4, the "Vintage Mellotron" is it's own instrument and the interface looks totally different. Not confusing at all!

Logic Pro X 10.4.1, MainStage 3.3.2, as far as I know all sound libraries and updates are complete.

If I create a new "Instrument" channel strip in MainStage, click on "Setting" in the channel strip I see "Vintage Mellotron" and can use it.

I do not see "ChromaVerb" in the plugin listings.

After some further digging, I've come to this conclusion: If you want to use Logic 10.4 sounds not available in MainStage, the solution is to just use Logic instead of MainStage for live performance.

Here are some posts that helped me get somewhat close to MainStage functionality in Logic Pro X:

Live Performance with Logic Pro X by Stephen Froeber

Switching Channel Strips with MIDI Program Changes

Choosing Logic X for live performance over MainStage

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/apple-logic-pro/889516-choosing-logic-x-live-performance-over-mainstage.html

• 3 weeks later...

all creative solutions/ideas, but the user-friendly point of view would be that Apple keep Logic and Mainstage reasonably in sync in terms of sound-making capabilities. It has been the norm that MainStage releases came out a couple of weeks after Logic updates, but we've had a couple of times that it took months and I believe once that it was almost 3/4 of a year before Apple synced these up again.

The issue is that many of us use MainStage for live based on channelstrip compatibility and ease of going from Logic to MainStage for live use. When Apple doesn't keep them in sync, I can't imagine it's anything less than lack of resources or lack of priority to keep the two products synced up. I'm trying not to be harsh here, but real...

I doubt (as a guy who has lead software dev projects for > 30 years) that it's particularly hard to add the new reverb to MS, and... they need a couple of hour design session to figure out how to implement the articulation IDs for the new strings and horn instruments.

Oh, another thing that's incompatible between versions: exporting stems to load into MS' playback - if these were imported into Logic and Logic interpreted the tempo as it does in 10.4, MS pops up an incompatibility warning for those files. I'm checking what the further consequences are, and what the workaround would need to be... but "it's a thing" we need to look at.