Behringer Motor 61 Master Volume mapping

3rddawn

Hi all,

Long shot as I don't expect many Mainstage users also have a Behringer Motor 49 or 61 but it could be this problem extends to other similar devices.

I can map the first 8 motorised faders on the Motor 61 to various things like software instrument volumes with no problem, and have Mainstage send the CC information back to the faders on program change, so that they jump to the saved values.

However, if I try doing the same thing with the Master Fader mapping it to either the Master Volume or the Output 1-2 Volume at the concert level, it doesn't move the fader to 0db (where the Output 1-2 and Master volumes are. It's as if it isn't sending the Master Volume or Output 1-2 volume information back to the keyboard, even though I've specified for it to do so in the concert level mapping.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar and are there any suggestions for either solving it or a workaround? Am I on the right lines, in thinking that perhaps the overall volume information isn't sent back to the keyboard like other mapped faders are?

Thanks for your help.

• 6 months later...

Yes yes yes it does this error and more.

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

I completely ignored the Mackie control presets for the faders and went ahead and put the midi mode in Logic into “learning mode“, then let it learn the faders on the Motor 61 one by one for each track by selecting the volume inside of the track listing and then moving the fader then moving to the next after that.

Now this works all the way up to track/fader 8, but the issue with this is that it forgets the map about 10 minutes into using it.

I have yet to go back and try another method, my next method today will be no Mackie control presets while in Mackie control mode, then using my own presets for each button on the keyboard.

Yes I was in midi mode to (say no advantage to Mackie control mode). I was successful with MS keeping the mappings of faders 1-8 correct within patches, it was just that master volume issue for me. I never had a problem like the one you describe, where it forgets the mappings completely. In midi mode I would map the faders the standard way - in MS Layout mode, highlight a fader on screen, either pick it manually or click Assign, move the fader a few times, click Assign to stop learn mode, repeat for all necessary faders. I also disabled the "send a CC on touch" feature on the Motor 61 itself - I didn't need it to do anything when I first pressed the fader, it was all about the movement for me.

More recently I've put a bus between the different patch outputs and the main output - perhaps I could get Fader 9 to work with that aux's volume control at Concert level instead of the main Output volume, but to be honest, I've now abandoned the Motor 61 altogether. I just got to the point where I thought every other keyboard player with faders/sliders that aren't motorised can manage to sort themselves out when moving from patch to patch during a gig, I'm sure I can get used to having to pre-move them myself (in pickup mode).

Coupled with the thought that if my Motor 61 stopped working, it would be a pain to source another one (and not cheap), I've switched back to a NanoKontrol and am using a used Q88 keyboard which is so generic that if it breaks, I can source something similar very quickly.

But thanks for confirming that it wasn't just me!

I’m going to look out for the issues that you had because I do the exact same patching, thank you for your input… I feel you on the generic midi keyboard as well because I kept mine just in case I had issues like this, I also use the Logic control app on my ipad for DAW control

:-) On the one hand I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't incorporated motorised faders, but then again, who wants the potential of lots more mechanical things that could go wrong ... so all credit to Behringer for that - it is a unique selling point. Hope you get your issues sorted out and get it working the way you want to. Cheers!