Vocal FX, using Auxes vs Audio ins?

Ploki

Yeah, going out to a bus gives you the chance to parallel process FX, i.e. you can bus out to a reverb that also has a chorus, or additional EQ - but the bus only deals with the 'wet' reverb signal so you can apply the chorus/additional EQ only to the reverb, while the original vocal carries on through it's own channel.

I sometimes like to send vocals out to a delay strip and place a limiter on the same aux strip which compresses the delay which gives interesting results. You can create a quiet, but very compressed delay that sits behind the main vocal by doing that.

Obviously, another example is sending out to seperate delay and reverb aux means they will be processed in parallel too, so the reverb won't affect the delay and vice versa.

The other advantage of course, is multiple vocals can easily be grouped to one vocal bus for quick management of the sound.

I hope i understood the question correctly. :)

Edited by skijumptoes

You did!

Yeah that would save some CPU as opposed to just duplicating the same chorus before the reverb / would make reverb more reusable without a chorus before it all the time.

So pretty much the same as when mixing in logic..

except It gets so complicated by having 3 levels of signal flows to take care off. "in which patch did i make that stupid Aux again?"

Is there any benefit to using Auxes and Sends or just loading reverbs directly on audio inputs?

..to get 'live' FX, I assume ? Plugins on Audio Input Objects (if you really meant these ?) will get printed on a track if you happen to record from these inputs. Using an Aux with the input selected as source does not do this.

Then you mention Aux and Send, as in Send from a channel to an Aux with a plugin. This saves processing power if you send multiple channels to the same reverb.

You can reuse the audio tracks as aliases

What ? How ? If I create an Alias from an Audio Track Object, all I get is a small icon without functionality.

Ploki, It's not just about CPU, it's more about creative choice for me. Going out to a bus means that your original audio goes through it's channel strip totally unaffected, and the bus splits off and does it own processing.

i.e. if you had a vocal track that had delay plugin going into an autopan plugin via the standard Audio FX slot, the whole track would be subject to autopan. Because everything is running inline.

If you bussed out to a delay with an autopan plugin, then only the delay would be subject to the autopan. You're effectively able to stack and create your own plugins that can be mixed wet/dry via the send amount on the source channel.

Apologies if you already knew that.

Edit: Oh man, just noticed this is MainStage sub-forum. Sorry, i just clicked on 'new posts' and presumed this was logic related, doh!

:D Sorry for confusion.

@fuzzfilth, you too i presume?

I'm aware of how it works in Logic; the Mainstage "tiered" signal flow is what confuses me.

Buses can be patch specific. (Patch buses) that are not accessible from other patches, unless you use an Audio alias in which case, they are within a patch but they get routed to an aux inside another patch.

On the other hand, all auxes seem to be global, not patch specific.

And then if you create a new Aux inside a patch via "add aux channel", it's patch level, but if you send from an audio to a bus an Aux gets created that's concert level.

And yeah, since it's live, CPU usage is crucial :) I'm printing IRs of verbs such as 2C-Audio B2, since i cannot afford having that type of CPU hogs doing live shenanigans as they please. Also replacing some u-he Repro patches with Hive and such, to cut down on CPU as much as possible.

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around it, i think I understand it, but it's just a little confusing. It's like Trackstacks.. within trackstacks, but not really as intuitive. :D