Using NI Maschine to play audio clips within MainStage?

MonoPoly307

Hi Guys

I am looking at buying a Maschine (either Jam or Mk3) to trigger clips - either audio or MIDI - in a similar way to Ableton.

My reasoning behind choosing Maschine as opposed to moving to Ableton is that I'm a long-term Logic user, and I want to be able to run the platform as a plug-in within Logic, so I can work on projects within Logic itself, but use the same clips triggered live when gigging.

I also use MainStage, and my question here is whether you can run Maschine within MainStage - and specifically, will a MainStage project store the audio samples (clips of various lengths - some will be the audio drum parts for an entire chorus, for example, others will be single bar clips, etc) within the project itself.

I believe Logic does this with audio recorded in Maschine, and I want to understand whether that will work in MainStage too, so I can effectively open a MainStage project and everything will be ready to go.

I'd appreciate any guidance and advice on this from MainStage / Maschine users.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Mike

not sure what you mean exactly, but MainStage doesn't have a way to store the audio loop as regions and such like you can do in Logic. Yes you can use most any plugin inside MainStage just like you can in Logic and MainStage has a simple transport that can play/stop...and always starts playing from the beginning when you hit play again. If Maschine, or AKAI MPC or any other loop able sequencer plugin is in there, it will usually playback.

As to how Maschine remembers "presets" or which maschine "project" is loaded....is hard to say. It will probably remember lots of settings within Maschine, for each MainStage patch, but not necessarily the maschine project...but maybe it will! You'll have to try it I guess. I suspect AKAI MPC software would also work fine for this kind of workflow..

• 11 months later...

Hi, bumping this post as I have started using MainStage with Maschine MK3

Good news is that you can load a new song to each patch, the song is remembered and starts from the beginning each time you change

Bad news is in order to get each patch to play separately I had to tick the box "instantly silent previous patch"

And now scenes no longer work on the Maschine, they are deactivated

I'm not sure why, it seems to work with one song and patch, but as soon as I have 2 or 3 patches (and songs) the scenes stop working

Does anyone have an idea as to why?

Anyone else experimenting with Maschine and MainStage?

Thanks

Edit , just found a solution to this, - Maschine - plug in instance - manually change what project your in - solved!

Next problem - getting the play and stop controls on the hardware to work with MainStage - any ideas?

It works with logic but not with MainStage