set up my first Mainstage session for a t.v. gig and then couldn't get it to receive MIDI note info from my keys (why??)

D.D. Jackson

I'm perplexed about why this happened. I set up a meticulous series of sounds within Mainstage that worked fine at home for a last-minute t.v. gig. I then got on-site, loaded the drivers for the Motif keyboard they were using, was able to get the MIDI expression pedal I had plugged into the Motif to be recognized by Mainstage (meaning I was sending MIDI at least on some level), but for the life of me couldn't get Mainstage to respond to any keyboard input from the Motif. I'm using a Macbook Pro 15" mid-2015 running Mojave and the latest version of Mainstage. Should I presume this had something to do with a setting on the Motif? (I did follow instructions for having it send MIDI via it's USB port).

Thanks for any insight you might have! It was my first attempt with Mainstage so I definitely want to avoid this ever happening again (I ended up having to use far inferior "built in" synth sounds they had on-site)...

- rj

• 1 month later...

Perhaps - a lot of devices now have a setting where midi out can be directed at the physical midi port, USB, or both. It might just be that its default setting was to the physical port only.

I would suggest you perform as you practice - leave nothing to chance.

• 1 month later...