Nanokontrol scenes in Mainstage

Rhodes54

I hope this is a quick answer, even if it’s not the one I want to hear :)

If you’re using a NanoKontrol (1st gen) which has four programmable “scenes”, do you then have to create FOUR separate NanoKontrol grouped objects (36 faders, 36 knobs, 72 buttons, etc) in Layout mode in order to assign them?

I’m moderately experienced with MS and using ONE NanoKontrol scene, but lately I’m running out of knobs and sliders AND my Layout is overcrowded as it is.

For example, maybe you wanted Scene 1 to be assigned to parameters at Concert level (Main Output and whatever Auxes and plugs you want available in every Set and Patch).

Scene 2 might be dedicated to a Set Level B3 for drawbars and other organ specific adjustments).

Scene 3 might be for Patch level controls ( like a Patch WITHIN your B3 Set)

Am I thinking about this wrong? Thanks!

Considering that most likely in the different scenes the controllers will be sending different MIDI events, then yes.

I don't know how else you'd be able to assign it in mainstage otherwise anyway.

You don't have to make visual faders and knobs on your layout tho, you can just make dummy controls (like midi activity or just parameter text)

Logic has support for t.i. "pages" (clicking a certain command will assign the same midi input to a different control) but it works so-so when you want to customise it.

I don't think Mainstage has such "pages". And in any case, this is a different scenario than having a separate hardware scene where most likely controls are either different or they're on a different channel.

I don’t really need the display unless something goes wrong, but space is pretty tight at my job. A larger display might not leave enough room for the guitarists drinks. Seriously though, there’s no room on either side of me to place a larger display.

(It’s usually in Perform mode and I can see song titles and faders fine.)

08AF6463-EEE6-4181-8DC9-5542347D977F.jpeg.b77205a8cb651fed40f02a6f21f4a08c.jpeg

I guess there's all kinds of gigs. On the kind I do, a 20" monitor would not only block my view of the guitarist, singer and and good bit of the audience, but would also be fairly vulnerable to accidents. Here's a top view. I sit stage right with guitarist in front of me, audience to my right. This was a pretty small venue to begin with. (iPad is missing in this one)

IMG_1516.thumb.jpeg.04342d48b30675efdfae5fb77e64ab20.jpeg