MBP 16" and Catalina

Maddcow

Hi all. I plan to get a new MBP 16" machine soon and of course, these will only run 10.15 Catalina. So, I decided to install Catalina on an external HDD (with my mid-2014 MBP) to test MainStage with my plugins. Interestingly, all of my plugins appear to have installed and work fine despite some of them having warnings from their devs that they have issues with Catalina i.e. with Korg M1 LE, the standalone is not supposed to work at all with Catalina but it does on my installation.

I still have plenty of testing to do but my question is this: do you guys think it would be reasonable to expect that my successful test install of Catalina/MainStage/plugins would be a good indicator that this setup should work on a new MBP 16" machine?

Cheers

Gary

P.S. I'm usually never an early adopter of a new version of Mac OS or new machines - especially given that I use MainStage for live performance as a full-time musician - until considerable time and testing has proven these. However, my situation is such that I need to get another MBP and I'd much rather invest in a new MBP design than put the $$ into the previous generation (with all the keyboard issues etc). Of course, I'd much prefer to use an older iteration of Mac OS but this isn't an option if I get a new MBP...hence my question above.

Short answer yes

long asnwer: Most of plugins installed on Mojave will work when UPDATED to Catalina, some plugins might have issues INSTALLING on a fresh copy of Catalina, but i think it's possible to circumvent that with some fiddling with the Gatekeeper.

I don't know what you did, but if you did a fresh copy and everything works, it should work on the 16"

• 3 weeks later...