Autosampler Seems Unuseable - What Am I Doing Wrong?

muleskinner

Hi,

I bought Mainstage pretty much solely to use Autosampler for sampling hardware synths but, so far, I cannot get it to work properly at all.

Whatever I do it seem to let one not 'hang' for a ridiculous amount of time (like 30 seconds or so) when there is dead silence, then the next note will cut off really quickly without waiting for the release at all. It pretty much alternates between these two whilst sampling(!)

I have tried loads of different settings. I have put a noise gate before AutoSampler on the channel strip. Input gain is as load as I can get it without clipping.

I *think* it's something to do with the way AutoSampler is measuring the loudness of the incoming signal as when I messed around with putting a limiter before AutoSampler on the channel strip I seemed to get better results but I was really having to slam the signal and destroy the dynamics.

Any help appreciated as I'm pretty much at my wit's end and this software just doesn't seem fit for purpose at the moment.

I'm on MainStage 3.4.3