Button as Slider

misteradam

Normally, yes.

A physical controller (being a slider, a knob or other objects) is just a device that sends binary data (usually MIDI) to the DAW. Thus they could be set to send specific type of data (ie CC) that will correspond to the parameter to actuate.

One relatively simple method to do same is by mean of Smart Control. There could be other ways.

- never mind didn't read the first post carefully...

you could certainly code something with scripter...where does the button presses need to end up? what message does the button send? Are you needing that gradually incrementing value to go to a track for recording it, or directly to an instrument for hearing it?

Edited by Dewdman42

I actually don't have hardware in hand; I'm deciding between buying several controllers, some of which lack sliders. So I don't know exactly what the button would send!

As far as what Kontakt wants, I'm finding that difficult to ascertain as well! Previously I've been sending CC values from a physical slider via "Map Parameter," but I don't know if Kontakt is responding to the CC directly or if something's going on under the hood in Mainstage.

I think you've already helped a lot just by pointing me in the direction of Scripter.