Main Stage (to be or not to be)

buzwah

Picking up my copy of L8 today !!!! While waiting to go pick it up, I was thinking Main Stage is a live performance tool right? So if I don't play live does it still need to be installed? I mean does Logic refer to it in any way? I don't even know how big the install is on Main Stage but was just wondering if you only had a G5 taking that on gigs wouldn't be too practical would it? Or is it really designed for laptops? so many questions!! sorry.

I also heavily recommend looking at Main Stage as a writing tool as well as a live performance app.

Sure, you can load Logic and start improvising and recording MIDI tracks, but with Main Stage you can work out the fundamentals of your music and not get wrapped up in making it SOUND right.

I suppose I'm probably gonna understand what Main Stage is capable of once I have it in front of me. At first glance though I thought it was meant as a Live Performance App and didn't see how it could be integrated into every day use in Logic. My impatience is getting the better of me. Thanks.

Or you could use it so the bounce periods aren't so silent : ^)

If you have large sample libs or just want a quick way to offload Logic's burden it is also handy for that massive tone generator/DSP sidecar. I haven't gotten terribly far into using it yet but...

I just sold my PPG. Had it since 1985. Sad to see it go.

Ouch. At least there are many emulations available *shrug*. I don't own one (a real one). They are cool in their own way.

btw - a fix for it is already available.

Cheers,

J

If anyone figures out a way to integrate Mainstage into Logic, please let me know.

I think MS is a great way to mine for sounds, but if you can't get it into Logic then it's a live thing only, which seems like a total waste of a good interface.

Have you tried IAC? I have not, actually.... though I assume it will work.

J

The layering and split keyboard stuff is another story.

I just want MS to be in the environment. The way they are doing the layers and splits is great and SO much easier than building it manually.

I also like the way the hi and low eq is on two knobs, and the buttons for the gtr amp sim pedals are cool too.

I'll take a look at IAC.....seems to me like it should just show up in the bus list like Reason does.

Keep in mind that Main Stage is really intended as a live app, and all the software instruments are in live mode all the time (unlike Logic). That means it will use a lot more RAM and CPU than Logic.

david is there any chance we will see a way to use mainstage layers/splits in logic sometime soon? its incredibly frustrating to have what would be such a huge addition to logic's midi and sound design capabilities limited to this external app.