Any reason why selecting "ALL" for MIDI hardware input assignments can't be bi-directional?

Maddcow

Hi all

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why MainStage restricts bi-directional MIDI communication with screen controls to single MIDI connection types? e.g. when assigning MIDI commands to screen controls, you can only select a single MIDI port if you want bi-directional comms via selecting a single MIDI port in the "Send Value to" field...you can't select multiple MIDI ports. I'd actually love to have bi-directional comms with all connected MIDI devices but users can only select one. This means that if I need to change devices (e.g. use a Bluetooth MIDI device instead of a Network MIDI device), I need to change ALL assignments, and this isn't practical if it's a last-minute situation.

I intend to send feedback to Apple about this but before doing so, I'd love to hear if anyone knows of a practical reason why this situation is the way it is? Is it too data-intensive to have bi-directional MIDI comms with multiple devices? Why can't multiple devices be connected this way?

• 4 weeks later...

From my point of view it makes not too much sense to send data to ALL devices. This would very often result in unpredictable and unwanted results since all devices now would try to process data that is in reality only intended for a single device. So I'm not really surprised that this feature is left out.

As far as I'm interpreting your posting you actually don't want or need this; what you actually need is a way to move one device (which would originally receive the data) and its associated bi-directional output to a different connection without having to change this in all the screen controls.

I can think of a workaround using the IAC bus and Processing. If you could get a bit more specific I could look into this.

Gacki, thanks so much for replying. There are definitely times when I’d love to have multiple devices with bidirectional comms but the more pressing issue is what you’ve mentioned i.e. moving devices associated with screen controls. I’d be really appreciative if you come up with a solution that doesn’t involve a third-party application. For years, I used Plogue Bidule to facilitate the use of multiple devices so that I could have bidirectional comms with those devices without changing anything in MainStage but it was a pain in the ass at times.