Patch changes from Qwerty Keypad??-appreciate any help!

obxa

I know this should be simple...

Just want to select patches within my concert set using my Macbook Air's built in qwerty keyboard, or using an external USB big lighted number keypad.

E.G: hit the 2 key for patch 2, 3 key for patch 3 etc.

I've normally done midi program change from my controller. But need to do it from the Qwerty on this gig- as I can't from the Hammond Clonewheel I'm using. What am I missing???? I've reset the patch numbers, is it a Mainstage or OSX thing?

I can use the up/down keys but all other keypresses of numbers just flash. Shouldn't these be mapped automatically?

I was able to use Keyboard Maestro to re-map the +/- keys to up and down on the USB keypad but that's about it. Of course I've got a TV taping on Monday and Tuesday, so appreciate any advice.

Thanks so much in advance!

C

Umm, I'm pretty sure that's never been a thing in MainStage…

But as far as solutions go, theoretically, the Jump to Patch command might work. You'd have to have buttons on the screen to target each patch, which would mean they'd need each a dedicated CC number, and you'd have to figure out how to capture the QWERTY input to trigger sending CC data, but I think in theory that would be the way to implement what you want.

Umm, I'm pretty sure that's never been a thing in MainStage…

But as far as solutions go, theoretically, the Jump to Patch command might work. You'd have to have buttons on the screen to target each patch, which would mean they'd need each a dedicated CC number, and you'd have to figure out how to capture the QWERTY input to trigger sending CC data, but I think in theory that would be the way to implement what you want.

Thanks much Andrew-appreciate it. I figured that was the case, and find it bizarre something so simple isn't an option. I do like your idea of patch targets and buttons. Keyboard Maestro actually does some basic Midi, and that might be a great solution since I'll need to do this again and can plan more ahead. As it was, I ended up just scrolling with my giant keypad. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to use Keyboard Maestro to re-map the +/- keys to up and down on the USB keypad but that's about it.

This should also work with the plain key commands (alt-K); you can define new key commands for "Previous Patch" and "Next Patch" there as well. In the standard key command set they are assigned to "command cursor up/down" and "Key 2/Key 3". I haven't figured out the latter yet; it's not the numeric keypad. If you add the same key from the numeric keypad they come out as "Pad 2/Pad 3". This works also with "Pad-/Pad+".

I know this won’t be an option for most people but I’ve used the MIDI Designer app on my iPad Pro to create a whole bunch of touch buttons for patch selection, in addition to other buttons/knobs/faders etc for the functions I most frequently need to adjust e.g. channel levels, EQ/FX settings, mutes etc. My iPad connects via WiFi and Network MIDI to my MacBook Pro and it’s SO much better than faffing about with the MBP during a gig.

Obviously there are lots of different ways to switch Patches and/or Sets. The iPad variant certainly sounds like a possible solution. I'm more of a hardware guy because I like some sort of haptic feedback. Strangely enough modern master keyboards often fall short when it comes to sending program changes. They often contain lots of controllers and drum pads and whatnot but sending program changes is sometimes quite a hassle.

Still waiting for a cheap old Yamaha KX-76 to come my way...