A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

GuyBorlander
Topic Author

internal soft synth volume in relation to slider volume

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:41 am

I use a soft synth called op-x pro-II.

if I maximise the volume within the VST and then adjust the volume on the slider on the channel, am I "getting the most" out of the soft synth, in regards to the harmonic content / true power of the soft synth, or should I stick to leaving the volume on the channel and adjust volume within the soft synth to save CPU usage?

or is it safe to stick to 120clock and adjust levels accordingly in logic, what do you guys do?

thanks guys

fuzzfilth

Re: internal soft synth volume in relation to slider volume

Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:27 am

Using one or the other volume knob has no impact whatsoever on CPU-use.

Now, it may be that the volume knob on the synth introduces analog distortion when fully open, as it emulates an analog hardware synth. This however is pure speculation on my part, you'd need to verify this.
Christian Obermaier
Contact me for private Logic Consulting, Training, Troubleshooting via Skype, Zoom or Teamviewer

1 x MacPro 6core 2010 24Gb RAM
2 x MacBookPro i7 2012 16Gb RAM
OSX.14.6. Mojave, Logic X.4.4 & 5.1

Maddcow

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:38 pm

I agree with fuzzfilth. And I’d be surprised if there’s not at least some degree of distortion/clipping - however minor - if your synth output is so hot going into the channel strip. And clipping CAN affect CPU, so make sure the channel input is within reasonable limits.
2019 MacBook Pro 16", 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, OSX 10.15.4 RME Fireface UFX+

MainStage v3.4.4

GuyBorlander
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:57 am

most of the preset patches are just below max volume which happens to be within a reasonable volume before any distortion occurs, your comment helped me realise this - this will allow me to get the most harmonic content / grit out of my soft synth without going overboard, thank you!