docking station

drumjazz

I am about to get a new Macbook at work (13inch MacBook Pro, with the Intel Core i7 processor (that might be a typo from the tech folks; could it be i5? I am not an expert), 16GB RAM, 512GB storage). So, yay for that! I am the music director for a university dance department, and I use Mainstage as a sound source for music I improvise during classes. I rarely run more than 2 midi instruments and maybe an additional audio channel per patch. I have only a few plugins, using mostly Battery 3.

Macbooks have gotten extremely stingy with ports and now we need to buy a docking station so that I can run my small keyboard, midi mixer, USB audio device, etc. The way "it used to be" was great: All I needed was a small usb hub with four ports and I could handle everything. Now with USB 3.0, I need another option, but one that is portable, I hope! So far they have suggested this https://tinyurl.com/byumapr7 and this https://tinyurl.com/yzk9wt59. Am I doomed to having to lug around these biggish boxes? Does anyone have any advice about smaller, efficient docking stations? I cannot change the laptop, but maybe we can rethink the connecting part of this? It needs to be portable and easy to set up, not something that will fall over easily, and something that doesn't take up up a ton of table space would be best.

Thanks for any help/advice.

It is possible to upgrade the 2.0 i5/16GB/512GB model to an i7, so it could go either way regarding your processor—could be a typo, could be they're spending a bit more on you.

Start by considering how many devices you have to connect, and what type of interface they use. When I had to move cross-country for my graduate program, I had to start with some USB-C dongle-style hubs until I could afford a proper Thunderbolt dock for my studio setup, but those hubs are still in my computer bag in the event I need to connect gear in the field. The model laptop you're getting will have four Thunderbolt ports, so you'll have the flexibility to plug in two or three hubs even if none of them offer Power Delivery.