To the RME Babyface Pro users—or anyone else...

bernarada

I have a couple questions...

I bought a Babyface Pro FS, which I plan to use both for home-recording and to play live, using a Macbook Air M1.

First, if I use the Babyface in DAW mode, with Logic Pro X, apart from using Totalmix to switch Phantom power when using condenser mics, are there any other settings in Totalmix that I need to tweak or change?

Second, about playing live... If I'm using the Macbook Air on battery power, does that provide enough stable power to the USB powered Babyface? Or is the Macbook better be powered? Or perhaps even both—though everything says that it's very stable via USB?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

There's folks out there who are happy dealing with layers of mixing in the DAW and the interface. I am not one of them. To me, an interface must be conceptually transparent, invisible even. I want to address all my inputs and outputs from Logic, and I absolutely hate to switch software just to flip a switch of any kind. So I'd set the interface to DAW-mode and deal with it from within Logic as much as possible.

I would never trust a computer's battery to carry me through a live show. Never. That'd be irresponsible. Besides, the machine would duly try to minimize the load on the batteries by dimming the display or shutting it down, parking hard disks, or going to sleep altogether, none of which are things I want to witness while I'm on stage.

I feel the same about your first point, Fuzz, which is why I asked. Totalmix looks pretty efficient, while I'm familiar with Logic and run all my inputs and instruments from there. That said, as I wrote, I wanted to know from the Babyface Pro FS users whether some settings in Totalmix need to be addressed in DAW Mode apart from switching Phantom power if needed.

What you're saying about the battery makes sense. One reason I asked is that since the Macbook only has 2 ports, if I use one to power it and to the other power the RME, it leaves me with no ports for other things like a USB foot-controller, a USB sustain pedal and such. Then the only option would be using a dock, which adds a layer of, well, of potential instability, unless I find a truly trustworthy one—which by the looks of it is a tricky business, what with so many of them on the market and all the conflicting reviews.

In any case, thanks for the reply, Fuzz.

PS: Once I'm done with upgrading/updating my brand new setup, and start to be familiar my it all, I'll run some test and see how it all behaves.