Multiple Instruments

hitmewithmuzak

I need to be able to plug in my drum pad and midi keyboard to mainstage 2. The way I have it set up now, the keyboard plays on its own, but when I play the drumpad, it plays the drum and key patches.

I'm sure this is a simple thing to set up, how do I do it?

edit: at the concert level, the two instruments are separated the way I need, but at the patch level, they are not.

put both input devices on different midi channels, say 2 and 3.

in layout mode create visuals of a keyboard and a drumpad.

click your keyboard visual, press learn, and play a key on the keyboard.

select each drum pad and learn each one as it should be.

all the "hardware input" info should match up with input device and channel.

then go to edit mode. select the channel strip you want to be controlled by the keyboard and go on the 'midi input' pane at the bottom and select the keyboard.

repeat for the channel strip you want to be controlled by drums.

ive probably cocked this up cos i've done it without opening mainstage to check... :D

I need to be able to plug in my drum pad and midi keyboard to mainstage 2.

Add two objects to the workspace, one for each MIDI controller. The object could be a MIDI keyboard and/or a MIDI Activity LED, depending on what you like. Assign them to the two devices.

Now in Edit mode, you can select them as inputs for your individual channel strips. So, one channel strip can listen to a specific MIDI device.

BTW: There is no reason to change the channel on the device.

• 7 years later...
What if you need to send a specific midi channel to a specific channel strip but from the same controller? My controller has drum pads that transmit only to channel 10. The keyboard transmits on channel 1. How can I have a patch say with bass and a drum kit in which the drum kit only responds to the messages coming from the drum pads on channel 10 and ignores the notes from the keyboard on channel 1?