A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

MikeRobinson

Re: how to figure out the key of a song - remixing

Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 pm

One way to do it might be to look at the Score display. Notice now where all the "sharps or flats" are showing up (if you've initially set "key of C" which is no sharps/flats).

Those "sharps and flats" form a definite pattern which is what a "key signature" on a printed score is actually showing you. (If there are "three sharps," they are always F-C-G, and so on.) Fiddle around with the key-signature setting until most if not all of the "sharp/flat symbols" go away.

And, as someone in this thread said (many years ago, now ...) "basic music theory" really isn't all that hard. There are plenty of very good videos on the subject: Toby Rush (tobyrush.com) actually did a book of cartoons. There are really only a small handful of things that you need to know to really help you out – you actually don't have to go that deep into it to come away with some really useful nuggets. You'll find yourself actually saying, "gee, that actually makes sense!" :)

With practice, you can actually hear what the key-signature is most likely to be. Because of "physics reasons" that we don't need to dive into, the various keys sound different, and not just at a superficial level. There's a certain discernible "pull" as the lines of melody play through: "it's not just the pitch."
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA

Eriksimon

Sun May 24, 2020 7:19 am

To Onyx509:

You can select a chord and that is then named in the PR editor.

pic 2020-05-24 at 16.17.44.png
pic 2020-05-24 at 16.17.44.png (37.74 KiB) Viewed 142 times
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/Logic Pro X 10.4.4/MXL 990/Marantz MPM-1000/U-Phoria UMC204HD/E-MU XBoard 49/Studiologic CMK 149/Akai LPD8

Onyx509

Sun May 24, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks for your reply! That is actually helpful. This way if I am playing a weird chord I can figure out what it is. It doesn't, however, tell me what key the song is in.
Logic Pro X 10.4.8
Mac Os Catalina 10.15
Memory 16 gb
Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i9
8 core
MacBook Pro i9
Alesis Dm10
Presonus Studio 26c
Akai Professional Max 25
Alesis V61

Eriksimon

Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am

No, but "key" is a "chosen" value, not something you can "mathematically" compute. So if a song starts and ends with Gm and inbetween there is (among others) an F and Bb and Eb chord, well, you may choose: is it in Gm, or in Bb, or perhaps in F or even Cm? I would go for Gm, but that is by no means "the law". So I can understand why there is no such feature. The key is a choice, and such a feature would need a (rigid) formula. Because computers can't "feel" the key.
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius ring?

miMac Intel i5 3.6 GHz 16 GB RAM/OS X 12.6 (Sierra)/Logic Pro X 10.4.4/MXL 990/Marantz MPM-1000/U-Phoria UMC204HD/E-MU XBoard 49/Studiologic CMK 149/Akai LPD8

MikeRobinson

Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 am

More or less you try to sense what the "1 chord," the "4 chord," and the "5 chord" feel like. Those probably indicate "the key." Songs often begin and end on the tonic – the "1 chord."
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA