"If creativity, and market success, were deterministic," then I'd be writing this post from a very-far-away island.
And – we'd all be flat broke, because everybody would be doing it.
• "Surprise me." Whether it's a lyric or a harmony or a trick of a phrase or a sonata.
• "Develop that surprise, with a nice mixture of repetition and new surprises.
• "Tell a Story." ... Poetically! (You've got five lines to work with. Good luck ...)
• "We are here now, en-ter-tain us!™"
• Fill your "catalog" to the brim and don't stop writing.
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA