Resources for learning the piano as well as orchestration

Glenn L.

Hi there,

I've been on a bit of a tear recently with software (damn Logic for getting me hooked on generic samples, and making me want better!!!), and I wish to develop both my keyboard skills, as well as theory and orchestral arranging.

My first instrument was the organ (which I played from about 9 until I picked up the guitar at 14), so I have basic theory, though fairly rusty keyboard skills.

I wish to bring my playing ability up to a competent level, as well as learn the theory necessary for basic orchestral arrangement.

I would appreciate some advise on what would be the best resources (books, I guess) to attain these goals. If there are any teachers out there, I would especially appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Glenn

For piano, if you can remember enough about organ and reading music, you may be able to get up to scratch on your own, with enough practice. If not, lessons, for sure.

For orchestration, the "Bible" on this topic is Samuel Adler's Study of Orchestration. Quite overwhelming at first, even for me who has a 4-year music degree, but after 2 read-throughs and applying the topics to my arrangements in Logic, it's all starting to stick!

For piano, if you can remember enough about organ and reading music, you may be able to get up to scratch on your own, with enough practice. If not, lessons, for sure.

For orchestration, the "Bible" on this topic is Samuel Adler's Study of Orchestration. Quite overwhelming at first, even for me who has a 4-year music degree, but after 2 read-throughs and applying the topics to my arrangements in Logic, it's all starting to stick!

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'll look into that book. As for my organ playing, it was basically chords left hand, melody right hand, not 'real' organ playing as such, which is why I would like a primer for piano.

You may look into lessons then - or, I've seen there are many online video lessons you can purchase/download, that will walk you through both piano mechanics and basic theory, step-by-step. That may be easier and more convenient than traditional lessons!

As for orchestration, you can read books all day, but until you sit down and attempt it you'll never get anywhere. At least, that was my problem for awhile, reading reading reading and wondering why I still couldn't orchestrate properly.

1.) Find very simple orchestral pieces (I would start with small chamber groups), listen to the music and study the score, and try to piece together what's going on. Use an orchestration book as reference (especially for instrument transposition!) as you go through. And when I say simple, I mean very, very simple. As that starts to make sense, work your way through more complex pieces.

2.) Write one melody along with a chord progression, on organ/keyboard/piano. Don't record it, just write it and keep it in your head/jot it down on sheet music. Instead of recording this piece with the keyboard, split it up between a few different instruments, and experiment with how the melody relates to the changes, what instruments are taking on what roles, what range sounds best for voice leading, etc etc etc. It sounds daunting, but starting small and doing a "hit-and-miss" approach can slowly but surely make things stick.

What genres are you interested in? Orchestration is basically the same principles, but genres like film scoring can have a lot of extra material involved!

Again, thank you for your time and the helpful tips!

Regarding genres, I would like to be able to synthesize classical with, for lack of a better term, 'new-age' soundscape stuff, with a basis in rock. Film-scoring might be a direction, and I realize that people study for years and years to be able to do this kind of thing competently. I figure that getting my chops up to snuff on the keys, along with learning more theory/orchestration will help me get there. I would like first to create music over video that I shoot. I play guitar at an intermediate-advanced level, so that will often be thrown into the mix as well.

I went all the way to the doctoral level. I am on my third copy. The spine is split and I don't know where the front and back covers of the book have gone.

Insert smiley face here.