Trouble with rhythm.

bachrodi

Hey guys. I usually never come on here, because I enjoy exploring Logic and figuring out things for myself. But, I'm trying to get out of remixing by composing things from scratch. I will admit that dropping a MIDI into Logic, and fiddling with things from there has taught me A LOT about Logic and what it's capable of. The big problem I run into when trying to compose from scratch is... well... I have no idea about music composition. The main thing I want to explore is rhythm and time signatures. I completely understand 4/4 time. Duh! But, I wanna start using the Swing feature because I think it'll let me create groovier grooves. So, I've been trying to emulate this beat from a Future Sound Of London song. The problem is, I think the beat is pretty simple... but when I try to recreate it, it doesn't sound right. Why?

That's a link to the song I'm trying to match.

Even when I think I've matched up the tempo right, and put in the snare hits. It's always off to me. So, do I need to adjust the groove? Or is it a time signature thing?

Also, whats the best way of showing you guys what I'm doing. Screenshots?

Thank you music guru's!

To start with your last question: screenshots are very handy indeed! And you can also upload example mp3's, or even your complete project . You have to .zip those first (rightclick the mp3 file or project file or folder in Finder and choose Compress). Note that the maximum file size for a zipped attachment is 64 MB.

As for your rythm: it's hard to tell - sounds like a regular, slow (70-75 BPM) NO swing 4/4 with 1/16 tambourin (Apple Loop...). It is predictably impossible to tell why it sounds off to you with your drums added, as I cannot hear that. I'm just a guru, not a psychic... :roll: :mrgreen:

1066107068_pic2013-11-26at17_09_25.PNG.c522bd531fbde46f009f54590ea06164.PNG

bachrodi, your hi-hats are too slow. They should be twice as fast. You're also missing some kick drum hits. Some of the hits by that timpani-sounding drum are also not present (except for one that's been replaced by a kick drum hit). There's also a snare drum in this beat (it plays on the same beats as your claps).

I'm attaching the project file with a MIDI region that includes what I hear in that beat (excluding the bass).

J.

colorblind w. audio_69.zip

I only quickly matched up the tempi, staying close to how the OP had originally set it up (@74 BPM)504357959_pic2013-11-30at20_27_48.PNG.fa1213e3e2723abcb923015213fffed3.PNG

To me the whole thing has a slow feel, so I chose a slow tempo. Also, a snare on each .2, withholding the .4, made "structural" sense to me.

That Tamb on the original track to me sounds like 1/16s, ghost-doubled up via a 1/16th delay/echo effect with 1/32 offset.

But it certainly can also be done at double tempo, without delay fx, only using MIDI or UB sequencer steps.

I agree that most of it has a half-time feel, but the "hats" (like you say, more of a tambourine or pandeiro) is what drives the whole thing and they definitely feel like 16th's to me. I hear some reversed stuff going on with those too (it's easier to notice what's going on if you listen to left and right channels on their own). There's also that timpani drum on the first beat of every bar (when heard/felt as 138).

J.