Need help recreating this loop (Chords)

erikirby

Hello. I usually don't resort to posting online about this kind of thing, but my own inability to figure this out is driving me crazy.

I was playing with a new composition when I came across a loop that was the exact kind of sound and chord progression I wanted.

The loop is called Cartridge Synth Layers and I believe is default in Logic Pro X (uploaded it here just in case: https://soundcloud.com/kirby-henry/cartridge-synth-layers-1)

Of course, I don't want to just use the loop as is and not be able to edit certain notes for different parts of my song, so I am trying to recreate it with midi input. I eventually need to figure out the correct instruments and how to do that swelling effect, but for now I am not even able to get the chords sounding right. I have the main melody down, but whenever I try and beef it up with the chords it very.. bright and happy, whereas the original sounds like it has a tinge of minor like chords in them. From my description I'm sure you can tell I never properly learned music theory or chord names, so I would be incredibly grateful for any help figuring this out!

I tried searching on google for more similar (or un-layered) loops with the same name but to no avail.