Single orchestral lines do not notate as would a full score

(Edit to mods - this was double posted in error as I thought first one had expired. My bad)

Hi, hopefully someone can help me!

I'm making my first attempts to export a project to notation, both a full conductor's score and individual sections/instruments. After some fudging with values I got everything to fit to the page for the full score, and that looks ok - everything is consistently laid out, of a common length etc. But when viewing single instruments, they are inconsistent - rests are short, the bars differ in length, and it generally looks at best amateurish and at worst confusing for a player. How would I fix this? Ideally it needs to conform to the same layout as the staves in the full score. I attached a couple of screencaps to demonstrate the difference.

2000775500_ScreenShot2015-05-14at17_02_08.png.dc8dfb1306e63d1cf7a8f87519488e81.png

621865371_ScreenShot2015-05-14at17_02_33.png.bf5eed45cca885956e3887bf5c8196cb.png

Another issue I'm encountering is that some faster lines or trills end up notated partially as simultaneous notes. More screencaps to demonstrate! First is the midi, then how logic has worked it out.

394671637_ScreenShot2015-05-14at17_14_49.png.416a90e3fb916465e48451d85be9f470.png

1762814036_ScreenShot2015-05-14at17_15_17.png.97bd3ce865ce90d5455fac3263240aec.png

It's not an issue of the interpretation checkbox or anything immediately obvious.

Obviously I wasn't expecting that Logic could blindly create a perfect score, but maybe there's a "stop messing about" thing I could select? No? Shame.

Ok, thanks to anyone who can help in advance!

Dave

• 2 months later...

Logic Score is not the best, but it is pretty decent, and you can hear, play, edit in real time.. A fair amount of composers do use, it, cause it's one step less, in getting from mock-ups to score.. . Once your 2nd example.. Notation is a function of score quantization.. If you raise the quantization (go from 16th to 32 nd) it will be correct. however it will take up twice as much space.. A glissando, is a real mess. I usually leave score quantitazatin to 16ths.. Glisses are ugly, they are clumbs of notes. If you score for 64th notes it's better but make take the whole line up.. Realistically what you can do is make a 'dummy track' for the score.. This is a copy of the midi track that is played, except, the dummy track playins nothing.. you can alter to make the score more natural.. For example, in a gliss you would erase all the midi notes, and use the 'gliss tool' to draw in on the score.

Ideally scores were originally written as 'guidelines' for the instrumentalists.. Some composers wrote scores, with the intention that the players would take his written idea and improve on on it.. When sequencers, Frank Zapper, Finale came along.. some composers wan't things performed exactly as written.. with no room for performers input. I depends on what you are doing with score.. Ideally if an orchestra is going to perform it, you want to use Finale, or Sibelious.. If its sessions musicians, Logic' score is often used..

Individual instruments presume, you want to get the point accross with the least amount of pages, hence the measure are shrunk.. If there are long measure of silence some even use 4 measures with a line above and the beginning and ending measure of silence.. Meaning those 4 bars, might represent 32 bars of silence.. There may be a command to not 'justify measures.. Normally Logic is going to make each measure as short as it can reasonably be, to save space.. The Score editor is the oldest code in Logic.. And although they did do updates to it, some of it is kind of 'kluged' together.. There is a Logic Score editor book, written by the original German coder of the score section,, He sells this thin book for $40. It explains a lot more, than is covered in manual.. Not sure what other new books explain.. Bottom line, Score Editor is 'least logical of Logic', but is pretty powerful, You can even put 'meta' commands, which will play repeat verses, choruses, 1st, 2nd endings etc.. But you gotta put the time into learning it.. good luck

I wrote a book on the score editor for Logic Pro 9 and an e-book that explains the differences that are present in LP X. Both are available on Amazon. There are also a couple of terrific video tutorials from Ask Audio/MacPro Video and Groove 3.

Logic's score editor is idiosyncratic but vey capable IF you know it well.

Thanx AshrMusic.. nice to know.. I'll check it out.. Having spent the time to learn Logic's score editor was well worth it.. To see the music in music notation, relays so much more informating than looking at track pages.. In the orchestral score editor, you can see the weaknesses, or areas that need work, with one quick glance.. Where to take a riff from one intrument, move to another in a different bar.. easily modify it to fit chords, create nice and unqiue harmonies quickly.. It really is an underused feature, because, some users think it's just too much.. The major amount of data to your brain comes from your eyes,, it's a great waste, not to use your eyes in this manner helping you to create music, you're short=changing yourself..

• 3 weeks later...

Check out "Ski"s LPX Score Editor Video from MacProVideo! It's really good too!!! Haven't read Jay's yet, but I'm sure it's insightful! :D

You need to create a dedicated staff style for every stave (instruments or divisi) that will give you more control. Your problem with logic's interpretation of the MIDI might be corrected with "force or defeat interpretation" along with the correct division setting (16/24 etc. ). As a last resort, if the MIDI mockup sounds great, but the score just looks wrong, you may have to create a "score-only" track for that part. :o