For film score students: when to not have music.

Fiver

Hey folks! Just wrapped up my fifth youtube video studying film music, and thought some of the film score folks on this forum might either get some use out of it, or be able to give some advice for the next video.

Hope it's helpful to someone! (Sorry, can't figure out how to get this forum's 'Youtube' tags working.

• 2 weeks later...

A great reminder. I've heard Roger Waters say that he gives similar advice to musicians--that you have the option to not play anything at all.

It sounds as if you've wrapped this up but I found myself wanting to hear the music just before the chariot race in the Ben Hur example.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Wise words from Wolfie2112 and I'll add another piece of real-world advice, relatable to career survival in general: never start any project until you've done yr due diligence and know exactly who's the boss. It's usually the producer, so you not only need to give the director whatever he or she wants, you need to weigh it in the context of what the producer wants and err on the side of the person who'll kick your ass to the curb in a heartbeat if you don't do it (that's the producer). Seems obvious, but if you've spent a drunken weekend bonding and trading ideas with the director and he's naming his next child after you and you both think that so and so (the producer) is a clueless jerk...well, the power structure might slip your mind for a sec...don't let it. Give them all what they want...again, with your own creative touch!