Need online tutoring for notation

I have been trying to learn Logic Pro X notation, having used Finale for 15 years. I have taken several courses, but yet I am still struggling to understand the best way to notate and how to accomplish specific tasks. I would appreciate recommendations of knowledgeable users who might be willing to work with me, and who have had experience teaching notation for Logic Pro X.

Sorry if this seems caddy, but check out the links in my signature... I don't do private consultations as you were asking about, but my scoring tut might give you a good head start.

That said, I love to discuss the score editor, and there are a few other guys on this forum who are very knowledgeable about it.

The score editor is not nearly the program that Finale is, but it is certainly VERY capable. I used to do all of my charts, everything from solo violin lines to full orchestral in the score editor. These days I do most of the work in the score editor, but farm out the finishing work to a copyist (via XML) because I don't have the time to do all the tweaking myself.

My first piece of advice: download the Bravura font and use it in lieu of Logic's stock font:

http://www.smufl.org/fonts/

I found a great resource for installing the Bravura font as recommended by Ski. Here is the link:

https://ask.audio/articles/logic-pro-x-the-score-editor-the-bravura-font

After I followed all the steps in the above article, I did have to quit Logic and start it back up again. Then, I saw the Bravura font was available to me and I selected it.

Thank you, Ski, for recommending this font.

Hi M,

In the time since I wrote that article, something in Logic changed and yes, now you have to re-launch it. Glad you got it working!

A few other things that have been updated since that article was published, including the font itself. What I wrote about the flags touching the noteheads has been resolved. If the Font-Specific Spacing checkbox is either enabled or disabled (you'll have to check, as I'm not in front of Logic right now) flags no longer touch the noteheads.

I want to thank all of the people who have been offering their expertise on logic's score editor. In particular, Greg Vilovic, Eric Cardenas, Ski, Jay Asher, and Angelonyc. I am sure there are many others who have in-depth knowledge on scoring as well as a willingness to share this knowledge with others.

I have actually had some Skype sessions one on one with Greg Vilovic and wanted to say what an excellent tutor he is on the intricacies of the score editor. For years I have been using Finale and now I am trying to use Logic for all of my notation because I will have everything I need in one package. Greg has also used Finale and understands the kind of conceptual leap that needs to take place if I am to understand how Logic's score editor works. Thankfully, he is able to explain things clearly and patiently--something that I need to help me get over the learning curve in order to master the score editor. So a big thank you to Greg for his continued support!