Background Vocals

Brenin

I'm completely new to Logic, I really only play piano and trying to get other instruments into songs is kind of difficult right now for me, like the drums aspect and guitar. I realize I'd probably just need someone to play for the track but if there were any tips without having to do that, that would be awesome. 

The main question I had was how to create a background vocal sound. If you listen to a few of Gabe Bondoc's songs thats the kind of sound I'm going for, if anyone would know how to get that sound incorporated into Logic, that would help me out a lot.

The "drummer" is a computerized rhythm-generator that can be told to "follow" another track (such as a bass).

Logic also comes with thousands of "loops" for instruments such as guitar, as well as drums and so-forth.  A very good way to at least "rough out" a track is to start with those loops.  Loops are, for the most part, actual human performances, and there are two types:  audio recordings, and MIDI.

(You can also use the "transpose" feature on a part to cause the player to "change chords.")

Real bands, when accompanying a pianist, often play lots of "loops," so that the soloist can shine.  Try a few of them as background as you lay down your piano part.  

(And of course, it's perfectly all right to slow down the tempo while you record your part, then speed it up for actual playback.  You can record multiple "takes" of each section of your song, then pick the best one(s).  You can also, of course, manually edit-away any "clams.")

As you refine your song, you can revisit your choice of loops, or eventually substitute a real guitarist, drummer, etc. for certain sections.

• 2 weeks later...

RnB backing vocals. theres a million variations on how to do it, but basically

record a track, pan it left, record another track, pan it right, get the backing singer to sing harmonies at intervals to the tonic or dominant melody. bring one  up centre and another  slightly left and another  slightly right, mix it back so its not too loud, add reverbs , and la la la...there is your b vox section.  4 or 5 voices (parts) are usually enough.

backing vocals are similar to brass sections in terms of construction theory and harmonic arrangement. the top soprano vox is the trumpet, and the low bass singer is the barritone sax. all the in betweens are the alto and tenor saxes. and frugal horn if your lucky enough to have one.  in piano theory its just intervals and choice of notes...and  multi tracking....

have a go yourself, its not too hard...buddha