Help with transcribing score

wip

Hi guys!

I am a long-time member looking for someone who can help me transcribe my music to score.

Already a lot has been done in Logic's score editor but i need someone to verify my work.

This forum was the only one related i knew i could turn to but if anyone has any idea where else I could find help, please let me know 

:)

Best,

Kevin

If you used MIDI files, it is no problem to display in score editor..  You may want to split regions up, if notes climb high or low.  and use an appropriate treble or bass clef, so notes aren't an octave above the clef.

If you have a MIDI track with a lot of issues,  (lots of grace notes.  finger hitting a wrong note along with right note (which you might want to keep because it adds to realism of sound..  You create a 'dummy display track'.. That is you copy the midi track to another track that is for display only..  Here you can clean up display.  you can replace  Hammond organ palming techniques, or glisses with some of the graphic commands in score editor.

If your tracks are imported audio, or live played audio with no counterpart MIDI.. that is harder..  You could use something like Flex pitch note detecter..  I prefer to use melodyne audio to midi command. I feel it is more accurate.  Less clean up time.. 

For those of us not blessed with 'perfect pitch', transcribing an audio track to midi is more work.   In the long run,  learning relative pitch would be an excellent skill to acquire. with practice anyone can master relative pitch.. An easier approach is to sing the the audio part a few notes at a time, or even just one note.. find the midi notes.   Solo your midi track, and the audio, and make sure they match..  After some time, it will become significantly easier. There are books and courses to help you.. 

Many years back. I used to hire a Berklee musician to transcribe my songs for copyright forms.. I've tried a few transcriber musicians, and found their accuracy varied depending on their talent, and the type of music you're creating.. A good music transcriber is a well practiced skill in itself..  and it will take time to master.  It will be of benefit, because you will learn to read a score, and use you eyes and ears to create music..  If your project requires lead sheet.

I'd try flex pitch note detect, or melodyne first. Let it do it's job.. Then solo the detected MIDI track to the audio.. and fix notes were necessary..  Neither one will get it accurate all the time.. 

If it's polyphonic music (several instruments already together.  Melodyne has a polyphonic editor, and I think another company does..  I have no experience with them.  good luck

Angelonyc - thanks a lot. 

It is already transcribed to MIDI.

I am very sorry for this vague post, i need to get a hold of myself, hahah.

My music is rhythmically quirky so i should've been more specific saying that my main concern is the time signatures. 

I find a lot of patterns add up to 2/4 or 4/8 etc but i am not sure it will be readable/playable for hired musicians.

I guess what i am really looking for are musicians - trombonists and percussionists in particular - familiar with more technical rock notation (prog-rock). I would call my music a cross between prog-rock, jazz, ragga/dancehall and world music, if that makes any sense...

Open time signature list, and put in the correct time signature for that measure, then put back 4/4 (or whatever it is) on the next measure..  I believe you can also enter time signatures on the global track too.  It should not be a problem for anyone who can read music.. even just explaining it with chord chart, should be no issue.

Sometimes I start with a free form kbd part..  and it takes a couple of passes for me to realize, I need to alter a measure, here or there, to so that melody motif begins on beat 1 again.