How to get a car horn sound with pitch?

Greetings,

I have a song where I would like to put in what sounds like car horns honking.  I want to be able to vary the pitch and duration of the sounds.  So I'm thinking I could use my keyboard through MIDI.  That would allow me to control pitch and duration.  However, I don't know how to find a car horn sound to use for the track.  I suppose I could use a trumpet or other horn sound, and EQ it to sound like a car horn.  But maybe someone here knows a better way?  Please note that I have no experience with MIDI sounds, so this will be my first attempt.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I’m no expert, but I bet there will be a free audio loop somewhere or you could try recording one yourself. Then, I’d get a sampler, like Alpha Sampler, but I’m not even sure this works in logic, but if it does, you load that audio of the horn in the sampler and then you can play it on your midi controller.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Rob

• 2 months later...

Yes, car horn loops are easily found on the net. But if you want to use MIDI with a software instrument, here's one hint: the average car horn is a minor third, like G#4 and B4.

I was surprised to see that neither Logic loops nor its software instruments have any direct recording or representation of a car horn.

• 9 months later...