Chord Track in Logic Pro X

From the video I saw regarding Chord Track in Logic Pro 9, I think one of the reasons they probably removed that was I would think it would be impossible to alter audio by chord, transpose by key yes, but in realtime alter audio by a chord.

Now MIDI data is another story. That can be done.

Here's something I'm working on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought that "chord track" was a nice idea. But the first track(s) that go into my project are "guide tracks." The melody pieces, in a number of "takes" until I finally get them right, and basic block chords. The guide tracks are then muted, but they remain.

Some of the guide tracks serve as "storage areas" from which I can copy-and-paste notes that will be placed into the right spot in the song's "real" instrument tracks. (It's handy to change the color of a region to indicate that you have used it somewhere.) If I'm feeling my way to see where a song will go, the guide tracks contain a lot of muted fooling-around, in no particular order. (I've even gone back and fetched something to use in a completely different song.)

I thought that "chord track" was a nice idea. But the first track(s) that go into my project are "guide tracks." The melody pieces, in a number of "takes" until I finally get them right, and basic block chords. The guide tracks are then muted, but they remain.

Some of the guide tracks serve as "storage areas" from which I can copy-and-paste notes that will be placed into the right spot in the song's "real" instrument tracks. (It's handy to change the color of a region to indicate that you have used it somewhere.) If I'm feeling my way to see where a song will go, the guide tracks contain a lot of muted fooling-around, in no particular order. (I've even gone back and fetched something to use in a completely different song.)

The premise of what you're doing is exactly what the Apple Loops (Green/Blue) library is all about.

Create riffs and then add them in the current song you're working on, or as you do, even put them in other future songs.

Chord Track went one step further in that you could change the original chord in your riff to a new chord.

As I mentioned before , for exotic chords and trying to apply that to an audio (blue file), it would just seem impossible to do, but for a midi (green file), that would be possible as you see in the above video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I miss the ‘ol chord track a little. A lot of times when I’m working on something with a specific harmonic framework, I create an alternate marker track with the chords to remind me of the prevailing harmony at that point in the composition. Nothing actually happens to the MIDI or audio, but it’s a great reference to see that my line won’t work with the Gm7b5(11) spelled out by the other instruments.

• 1 month later...

One thing I've been noticing with what I'm doing, while yes changing to what chord is being used is cool, but what about the music tonality (scale/key).

What we should be looking for is a feature called "Music Tonality Track".

So apply a group of notes, if it happens to be a chord, great, but if the group of notes is a scale/key, that would even be better.

Especially when dealing with improv of leads.

I think you're on to something there, Valli. What we really would like to see is "the ol' chord track ... but, better." Throw out the original source-code if the programming never worked, but keep the essential concept and then extend it in every possible plausible way. "It's a digital computer, after all. Make it work for us!" That would then be a very nice thing for a future release – it could be a "front-page feature."

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Will all your awesome Logic scripts ever be for sale ?!

I am dying to get them for years and i assume many people with me. :D

This one and a couple of. others were prototypes for me to write them as a MIDIFX in Objective-C.

Right now I have an outstanding developer issue which Apple is looking at. Once that's solved then I can finish the MIDIFX.

The only thing is, this will be a Apple Silicon MIDIFX.

The highest I can go on Intel is High Sierra so I can't test on Mojave or Catalina.

So if issues came up on Mojave or Catalina, there's no way I can test for that, besides, might as well just jump on the Apple Silicon wagon. :mrgreen:

• 4 months later...