808 Bass without the 'kick'

ojan327

Do all 808 bass sounds sound like they have a kick built into them?

All the 808 bass sounds in Logic, at the beginning of each note, it sounds like there's a kick there as well. Is this the nature of 808 bass?

I love that sound, but I'm trying to get that 808 bass feel without the kick in it, so I can add a kick separately. This would be more advantageous for mixing.

Thanks!

808 *IS* a drum machine.

EDIT: If you look at the sound's wave form, you notice it's almost a sine wave, so you can try to recreate it yourself with any synth, really. Or you could play the notes you need with the tuned/pitched 808 instrument you like, then cut the attack parts off and you'll have just the sine for your bass.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey ojan327,

There is a great tut on youtube showing how to make an 808 bass without the kick using the ES2 in Logic that I think you might be looking for:

Although the 808 was a drum machine originally, the famous 808 bass sound came around after the original kick was sampled and tweaked - pitch, length, attack, decay, etc., and had effects like distortion and others added. Now you can do the same thing in a couple of minutes with the ES2 synth in Logic. There are other ways as well. Propellorhead gives a nice but long presentation using Reason on YT. The part with Key Wane explaining how he gets his sound makes it worth it alone. His bit is around 1:10.

Hope this helps.