Trouble Producing an Organ Sound - Vintage B3

ojan327

So I am trying to re-make a production and there's a partciular organ sound I'm having trouble reproducing in Logic. It has what I'd describe as a bubbly kind of effect. Please listen to the short sample.

To me, the 'Reggae Organ' in Logic sounds closest. Then in the B3 I changed cabinet type to Wood and added Resonant Wah Wah.

I'm pretty sure there's a delay on it in the sample, though I'm not sure which kind.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

If some one could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

To my ears, it sounds like what you are listening to is more than one track, mixed, only one of which is "the organ."

To my ears, it sounds like the organist only provided ... ahh ... "splat, splat, splat, splat" ... and that all of the other stuff is other instruments.

After all, "the actual Hammond B-3," (or the Hammond M-3 that I grew up with) is actually a rather brutish device: tone-wheels spun by a synchronous motor, and thirteen-or-so electrical contacts beneath each and every key. (Hence: "key click.") 'Bubbly' is not a sound that this instrument was ever capable of producing.

(But ... and even though I did not feel that way at the time ... today I cherish the fact that I learned to play the organ on an M-3, which I finally sold to a local band which continues to put it to good use.)

Thank you for your response, Mike.

The other instruments in the sample are irrelevant. I'm trying to emulate only that particular organ sound, which is pretty standard and used quite often in reggae. That's why I feel like there must be a way to get that sound from within Logic, perhaps by applying a specific plug-in(s) to one of Logic's organ software instruments?

It's interesting to know that a physical B3 organ can't produce the sound I want. And I definitely don't want that key click, but by using Logic's B3 in conjunction with plug-ins you can alter the sound a lot. For example, the Fuzz-Wah plug-in with the Resonant LP Auto Wah setting eliminates the click.

I'm glad the M3 worked out for your artistic evolution :)

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.