Thoughts on this 80s kind of song?

joachim_s

Gary Numan would have been proud of you. Back in the 80s. Then, you spend 30 seconds before any kind of melody comes in. In that timespan, modern kids have checked out 29 more songs.

Yes. Numan IS a big inspiration for me! Didn’t think that would be obvious in this track though :) For this song I believe Cocteau Twins is even more important.

Yeah. I like that kind of build up in songs. I feel that if this track would’ve been too head on to the main theme and/or stronger parts, then that would be turning an alternative 80s sounding indie song into a contribution for the Eurovision Song Contest. However, I think maybe I need to make it a bit shorter and a bit more head on. Is it interesting enough I mean?

Is it interesting enough ?

That's a weird question. Interesting enough for what ? And asking if its good enough implies you might as well go on improving it, so why stop here ?

Well, you pointed out that the song took some time to build up, from a modern perspective. So that’s what I mean by if it’s interesting enough: it’s a hard balance sometime between sparse and overfull I think and I need other people’s ears since I’ve heard the song one too many times :D

Well, long intros had their time and place which is when radio jockeys used to talk over them, using the song as a backdrop until something interesting happens and/or the vocals set in. These times have long gone now and you need a hook in the first three seconds or so. And the times being what they are, you need some ear candy every couple of seconds to keep attention up. And this is where the question comes up again "Interesting enough for what?" So who is your target demographic ?

- Current pop music listeners ? Wrong song and production (but you knew that)

- Late Boomers/ early Gen X who feed their 80s nostalgia ? Worth a shot, but they might prefer listening to Sweet Dreams (which starts with an epic hook right away) and People are People (ditto)

Also, listening situation is relevant.

- Dead center in an actual mixtape while on the way across the continent ? Pretty good chances of getting heard for even a long intro.

- Playlist on the phone between classes ? Not so much.

My candid thoughts about this track – relative to "the 80's style" trope – is that right now it is both "much too unhurried," and, musically speaking, "much too thin."

"Unhurried" refers to the observation that I'm not being pummeled with musical ideas within the first thirty seconds of the song. "Thin" refers to the fact that most of the available frequency ranges aren't being used. Where's the bass? Where's most of the midrange?