In search of. . . the HOOK!

Orsanct

I am fascinated by hooks. Why is it some songwriters have a knack for finding engaging, memorable snippets we all seem to remember, while others are, at best, hit or miss?

What do you think? What are some "ingredients" for a good hook? What are some songs you think have good hooks? (And, if possible, share what you think makes them memorable.)

Enquiring minds want to know. . .

A good hook should be clearly exposed, sometimes right at the beginning of the song. Also easily memorable, meaning simple but distinctive. Groovy, it makes you want to sing along, hum along, tap your foot, bop your head...

Killer hooks:

The Breeders Cannonball's bass line

Aerosmith Walk This Way's guitar riff

A hook is usually an "in your face" statement. Not something subtle usually.

OK I can't think of anything else at this point but basically: statement, simple, memorable, clearly exposed, early in the song, probably first, or for lyric-based hooks end of chorus, or beginning of verse for songs without chorus (Yesterday, Every Breath You Take...).

If a bunch of little kids in a car will bop around to it, it is a hit. If the kids will sing it (sing...hum..whistle..), singly, later... it is an excellent hook :D Like David said- simple. 70's AM radio revolved around the hook. Then you have people like Paul McCartney that made more complicated hooks that defy this "law." By stringing a few simple hooks together, you produce a "mega hook."

Think back to childhood, and basic hook melodies can be derived form simple things. As an example, there are ALOT of hooks that are almost blatantly derived form the very childish "Nah, nah, nah nah, nah!" chant. "I'm gettin nuttin for Christmas" is one example of that...or put on some 80's freestyle..bunch of songs used it there.

I think a lot of people settle for a mediocre hook rather than work it till it hit's right. A lot of it is feeling, how does that sequence of differing pitches make you feel. Also simplicity can be key....

I always think it's interesting that no one can really put their finger on the technique of writing good hooks it's something you just do, often when not trying too hard.

C

I think a lot of people settle for a mediocre hook rather than work it till it hit's right. A lot of it is feeling, how does that sequence of differing pitches make you feel. Also simplicity can be key....

I always think it's interesting that no one can really put their finger on the technique of writing good hooks it's something you just do, often when not trying too hard.

C

This raises a very interesting side discussion. What would you consider a mediocre hook? Technically, wouldn't that then not be a hook?

So, playing along with the game at hand, two great hooks in my book:

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

(actually, pretty much anything Led Zeppelin... that's like cheating) :wink:

Just Can't Get Enough - Depeche Mode

Too many others to mention, but David's saying Walk This Way has got that riff stuck firmly in my head at the moment. And I can't hear any other song :!:

Mediocre hooks: that's a tough one. I'd like to know what others think are mediocre hooks.

Also hooks aren't always good. There are a bunch of top 20 songs I can think of with hooks that get stuck in my head and make me want to kill myself!

Cher - Believe, for example.

Sometimes hooks can be detrimental to an artist, because it anchors them or their song / album in a genre or period that they find hard to grow beyond. Radiohead took years to shake "creep" off.

Good point Muses. Technically a hook is a musical part that catches the listeners attention, or is designed to. One man's hook could be another man's collection of notes. I think it would still be a hook - "That hook is ok but it could be better...."

A lot of people (rightly or wrongly) I work with refer to the chorus of a song as being the hook. Diferent view of a hook I guess.....

Also hooks aren't always good. There are a bunch of top 20 songs I can think of with hooks that get stuck in my head and make me want to kill myself!

I think it's a lot like marketing. It doesn't really matter if you think the hook is good or not, it just matters if it sticks in your head.

Eventually, you may crack and buy that album. :wink:

Hehehe... maybe it is the evil bitch side of me, but I love to know those precious few songs that friends have a problem ridding themselves of once someone hums or sings even a single line of... I had a friend that I could simply sing, "Meet George Jetson...dum dum de dum dum de de..." in a very low voice, and I would get a very loud, "DAMMIT!" in response. Sometime in the next several hours I would get smacked for it...lol....

I have sung little lines in grocery stores, malls, etc, and almost always have someone glance over, smile, and then make a comment, start to sing under their breath, etc. Way too funny. And fun! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I seem to have the problem of having too many hooks to develop into full songs! I have pages & pages of possible hooks, one- or two-liners, short punchy passages, possible titles, etc. Then I have to go through the chore of how to frame a whole song scenario, form factor, meter, scansion, rhyme scheme, etc. Sometimes I just have to live with the riff or phrase for who knows how long. And if it's really persistent, this can go on for years sometimes until the pieces fit together.

Actually, I confess I get ideas from talking to myself, esp. while walking. I might just be grousing about something but then I might hear something interesting. Which kind of makes sense to me, as it seems that natural movement & speech rhythms give rise to natural-sounding hooks. Then they can go bother someone else for a while... :lol:

• 1 month later...

i find hooks to be the easiest part of songwriting.

i agree with what bjs was talking about- hooks are a dime a dozen,

building the song around it is the challenge. the only difference

between a strong hook and a weak hook is the strength of the

rest of the song around it

whether or not you realize it, your original idea for your song

usually is the hook, that's why those songs we never finished

writing aren't finished-because the hook sucked to start with

so we lose the incentive to get on with the more difficult task

of making the rest of the song interesting and complimentary

to the hook.

whether your original idea was in lyrics,melody,rythm or lead riff

or a bassline

that " original idea " IS the hook.

after all, that's what "hooked" you into writing the song

in the first place. n'est-pas ?

imho

This has always been a topic of great interest to me. As pointed out, a melody can stick in your head AND be annoying, and it can be difficult to walk that line between a good catchy melody and a bad one.

But to my mind, having a catchy melody isn't enough - you also need to pair it with lyrics that fit. Or more specifically, lyrics that take the melody to the next level.

Yesterday was mentioned as a great hook, and I agree, and it also illustrates my point. The original lyrics written with that melody were supposedly nonsense lyrics... it was like,

Scrambled eggs

How I love to eat those scrambled eggs

And had those been the final lyrics, the song would have never been released. It's the pairing of the sad lyrics and the sad melody that end up being greater than the sum of the parts. It's hard to write a good hook. It's hard to write a great lyric. It's hard to combine them in a way that will have emotional impact. But songwriters do it all the time.

I would say, though, that the majority of songs do NOT have this element. There are lots of songs out there with so-so melodies.

If its is true that a hook can be an instrument, a lulling voice, a chorus line or a verse too then this will make sense, if not, then I guess we're out of luck. (im sure there are many other possibilities)

when I was at the shocklee panel, Hank gave some really good advice to someone who had a hook that he didnt like. He said something to the effect of this:

you cant have a negative word or feeling in there, when I hear a song, I want it to be yes or can, not no or cant or anything negative. I want it to be my anthem so when Im walking down the street listening to it, I chant it over and over.

I really like that.

• 3 weeks later...
If its is true that a hook can be an instrument, a lulling voice, a chorus line or a verse too then this will make sense, if not, then I guess we're out of luck. (im sure there are many other possibilities)

when I was at the shocklee panel, Hank gave some really good advice to someone who had a hook that he didnt like. He said something to the effect of this:

you cant have a negative word or feeling in there, when I hear a song, I want it to be yes or can, not no or cant or anything negative. I want it to be my anthem so when Im walking down the street listening to it, I chant it over and over.

I really like that.

don't worry.....be happy

albeit a horrible song

it does prove your point

That flies in the face of every popular song by The Smiths or Morrissey.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1mfk9gKomZE

:wink:

:x

Ok hank, help me out here.

:D

not to mention the Blues....