what inspires or motivates you in creating a song?

I found the movie Sound City not only interesting but inspirational as well. Near the end of the movie Mick Fleetwood says “I think the downside these days is thinking that, I can do this all on my own. Yes, you can do this all on your own, but you’ll be a much happier human being to do it with other human beings, and I can guarantee you that”.

You know the ones that tell you what song should be, how it is structured, and what it's purpose is.

For some it just works. For example, if I don't limit myself in some way, I start orbiting in the possibilities turning 'the project' into a relatively incomprehensible mushie pie or restarting with every new exciting idea, which come in bundles if you really shuttle into that fruity headspace, leaving with 17.3 different pulps with no actual fruit. BUT if I start something with a little story, with its characters and flow of events (can be a really really tiny one, like three friends, a snail, a monkey and a cat gaily strolling through a forest, they meet the wise wizard the Possum and continue their journey with new knowledge about the Olympian Tree of Cymbals.. or whatever), having that background for how the tune progresses really helps with the flow.

Structure is not a bad thing - a good structure gives a sense of continuity and cohesion, while maintaining the intrigue. It's a fundament to an interesting tune - classical composers were absolute masters in this regard (and others, as well), which makes their compositions into journeys. So for me, having a structure and boundaries incites new ideas - rather than thinking what I can achieve with this plugin list of mine, thinking about how to achieve something specific in a creative way gives much more actual creative freedom, in my opinion.

As for inspiration and / or motivation - basically anything. Well, an idea can come from anything, twisting a knob is enough, while the real inspiration usually comes from some person (like a friend or that really sweet girl you've met at a festival), and event, a movie, or even a fantasy - but I must have some backbone for the composition and some meaning behind it, to keep me going, otherwise it feels somewhat worthless - so here's the motivation. Then comes jotting down of ideas, like chord progressions, grooves, etc., and then the domestic violence against synthesizers begins - abusing them to no end, ravaging the filters and mixers and ripping oscillators apart (figuratively, of course), finding new sounds and adapting them to the cause (or hiding them in that folder of mine no one else can see).

I found that if I begin with a 'cool idea' - a groove or a melody - I can NEVER go anywhere with it. It's great for adding them to your pool of sounds for general experimentation, but quite horrid for reaching a result - because there really is none, it becomes just noodling, like putting meat and veggies on the skillet, without having an idea on what dish you're actually making. You can find new taste combinations, but rarely a new dish; gotta think in advance. But when you're making a real dish, knowing its main ingredients, you shouldn't be afraid to play with the spices and something little extra from the shelf - especially when you're doing it in a DAW, you can easily add and remove, just try the mint with mutton, maybe it'll go well. Yet, don't be afraid to be critical and remove something if it doesn't really glue there - experiment with it making a side dish or just putting back on the shelf.

I just wrote a lot.