Solo Strings

So, I see a lot of chatter (most of it confused and confusing) on the web about "solo string" instruments for Logic Pro, so I've decided to ask here, where I find the advice to always be first rate. :) I have installed ALL the default instruments for Logic Pro 9, and nowhere do I see something like "Solo Cello Legato." I see "Cello Section Legato". I also see that Kirk Hunter and the Vienna Symphonic Library sell "Solo Strings" packages. So what I am wondering is...are there "solo string instruments" in the default downloads for Logic 9, or must one buy extra packages from third party vendors like Kirk Hunter and VSL?

Look under:

06 pop strings / Cello etc

The Cello is sort of ok and the violin pretty nasal.

I have the Kirk Hunter solo strings and they sound lovely and have many articulations. Caveat - no non-vibrato samples, which is a shame because otherwise, they sound great.

However, if you have Kontakt, there's a very nice and free pocketblakus cello.

And someone here posted a free violin for the EXS.

• 4 months later...
It depends on what style you're doing. If you want a true orchestral sound you'll most likely need 3rd party plug-ins, like Vienna, East-West, Hollywood, etc. But for pop and more electronic tracks, I actually like the native Logic patches. They have kind of an old school "noir" sound to them!